1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas to me!:rock:

I talked the wife into letting me buy a new Springfield Lightweight Champion for a Christmas gift. All along my plan was to send it to Springfield's Custom Shop and have it totally reworked. I REALLY liked the Nighthawk T3 pistol but, just couldn't justify/afford the price tag. The T3 had a lot of options that I really liked so, I called Rob Schauland at the Custom Shop and I explained my ideas to change the Lightweight Champion to similar specs as the T3. Rob was all over it. He had a lot of advice as to what Springfield could do to achieve this look "THEIR" way. I would highly recommend Rob to any of you guys/gals that are considering any custom work. He has great vision and the ability to communicate your ideas to the guys in the shop so, they really understand what you're after.

I supplied a couple parts and Rob and the team did the rest. The result is a Springfield Lightweight Champion that looks nothing like it did when we started.

This is what it looked like when I started.

This is the Nighthawk T3 that I was trying to mimic.

Here it is with the custom work.
Slide stop pin chopped and beveled
Checkered strap
20LPI serrations on top of slide
Ambi safety removed
Nighthawk Custom Trigger
Armory Koted black
New "Alien" grips

20LPI serrations. I like how Springfield pulls off the cut and leaves metal under the sight. Unlike Nighthawk they took the serrations all the way to end which gave it a more "finished" look.

The stock barrel was replaced with the longer Champion Operator stainless barrel. I think it looks MUCH better.

I also had my 4" Champion Operator done up to match. It has all the same options except for the slide serrations.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Dang..that is sweet.

Springfield Custom does a great job.

I am picking up a LW Champ on Saturday.

At some point I may have to get it out to the Custom Shop.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fantastic lookin' pistols!! :rock:
Be still my beating heart..............................

Regards,

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Wow! A pair of great looking compacts. I have thought of building up a Lightweight Champion for CCW use many times, and in my head it pretty much came out as yours did in "real life". Beautiful!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Very nice! Those are really something to be proud of! :rock:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gorgeous, any plans for a magwell to match the T3?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wanted the magwell but, it was expensive. Nighthawk wanted $170 just to install it. I'd then have to pay for a refinish. Springfield entertained the idea of making one, but it was going to be expensive too. I was trying to keep the cost down believe it or not. I've only got $1,030 into this pistol and $700 of that was the cost new. At the end of the day not having a magwell doesn't bother me at all. I used to think they were a "must have" but, I then realized they serve little purpose for my application.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mag Monger said:
I wanted the magwell but, it was expensive. Nighthawk wanted $170 just to install it. I'd then have to pay for a refinish. Springfield entertained the idea of making one, but it was going to be expensive too. I was trying to keep the cost down believe it or not. I've only got $1,030 into this pistol and $700 of that was the cost new. At the end of the day not having a magwell doesn't bother me at all. I used to think they were a "must have" but, I then realized they serve little purpose for my application.
I was asking because I have a DW PM7S coming my way as a target setup and I'm thinking about adding one. I like how they look in addition to the function they serve.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Rob Schauland is great. He worked my GI makeover. That is one sweet pistol you've got there. You game me some great ideas for round two of my pistol when I'm ready.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stunning pistols! Nicest Springfield Champions I've ever seen. I like how the longer barrel protrudes from the slide a bit, give it a sort of "bushing'ed" look to them.

How long to complete the work from the date you sent them in to the Custom Shop?

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Mag Monger,
Congrats on two beautiful guns! I really like the single safeties and the flush slide stops, functional yet aesthetically pleasing as well. Springfield Armory does super work reasonably priced. No rush on the range reports ;) ....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How long to complete the work from the date you sent them in to the Custom Shop?
They had them Monday November 26th and I got them back today December 13th so, about 2-1/2 weeks total.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice! I have a LW Champion Operator that I may have upgraded with your package. As a bit of a novice I would assume that the frontstrap checkering causes the need for the frame to be refinished. Did they also refinish your slide to match or was it left in the original Armory Coat? Why no slide top serrations for the Operator?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'd shank a kitten for a LW commander size springer- but if i ever get one it won't be for a few years. .. .just too much money!

fantastic looking customs!

·
Registered
21,987 Posts
Very handsome; I think the big gains were deletion of the flimsy ambidextrous safety and refinishing of the billious green receiver.

I would not pay to have the top of my slide serrated (And I would mighty near pay to have them ground off the rear of the slide as is common on Nighthawks.) But that is why they call it the Custom Shop.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As a bit of a novice I would assume that the frontstrap checkering causes the need for the frame to be refinished. Did they also refinish your slide to match or was it left in the original Armory Coat? Why no slide top serrations for the Operator?
Yes, the checkering requires a refinish. They did refinish the entire Champion pistol under warranty. It arrived with various finish flaws and a poor slide to frame fit that was wearing off the finish. This worked to my advantage thankfully because, I would have been hit with the bill otherwise.

I liked the Operator as it was and wanted some variation between the two. I also didn't want to have to pay to refinish the slide. The nice thing is that I did pay to refinish the frame and it now matches the slide because, before it was flat anodized black. It looks more complete now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts