1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was an extremely disappointing day at the range with my 9mm Trojan.

For those who may have read my previous posts, I received 2 ten round 38 Super magazines manufactured by McCormick. I ordered these magazines, which were indicated as "9mm/38 Super" on the Dawson Precision website, from Dawson Precision before I was aware that these magazines were not true 9mm magazines. The magazines arrived before I could cancel my order. Both of the magazines performed poorly.

Now for the very disappointing part. On my previous (first) trip to the range with my Trojan, I fired about 220 full metal jacket rounds. I experienced a few failures to return to battery, which I attributed to my strong hand thumb position. The slide also failed to lock back a few times, and on some of those occassions, the magazine release did not smoothly release the magazine. I'd read that the latter problems may be attributed to the particular magazine and/or insufficient break in. Thus, when I headed to the range with 200 more rounds of ammunition, as well as a second STI magazine, I was hopeful that these problems would be solved. Unfortunately, nothing could be further fom the truth.

After the third or fourth round from the new STI magazine, I heard a clatter in front of me, To my dismay, my now half full and formerly fully seated magazine was on the floor. Things went from bad to worse when I determined that neither the original nor the new STI magazines would stay in the the pistol. The magazines were fully inserted, and seemed to be locked into place, such that a pull on the bottom of the magazine verified that the magazines were fully seated. Invariable, however, the magazines ended up on the ground or on their way there. To verify that I was not accidentally pushing the magazine release, I fired the pistol with one hand. Still both of the magazines worked their way loose.

Needless to say, I am beyond extremely disappointed with my Trojan. I paid well over a thousand dollars for the pistol from Dawon Precision (hard chrome slide, Armor Coat frame, Dawson Precision optic front sight), and waited more than three months for delivery.

I have no doubt that STI will eventually make everything right, so to speak. Still, I can't help feeling extremely disappointed at the pistol's performance. Recently, I have read of far too many problems with STI pistols. I feel what I imagine many of the recent STI owners feel - that I wish I would have ordered my Trojan six to nine months earlier. I wish I ordered my Trojan before STI began to sacrifice quality to meet demand.

I'll call STI early next week.

PJH

PS - I have (attempted to) attach(ed) a picture. The gun looks much better in real life. The flash from the camera accentuates the difference between the matte and brushed hard chrome surfaces on the slide.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
While I can understand your frustration with your Trojan's,
let me tell you how I fixed the same problem in both mine.
The 1st was a new 45 cal. that was giving a lot of
problems jamming, I fin ally figured out the mags were
being held too high in the gun because of the mag release
button, after replacing with a standard one,I have not had a
single jam since.
Now the 9mm I received last friday, I ordered 2 extra mags
for this gun. the one that came with the gun worked fine
but the two extras would not even latch in the gun,because
of the other 45 cal gun I knew what the problem was the
mag button,I replaced it and all mags would then latch in
the magwell, took it out Sat. and fired 120 rds with no
problems.
talked to Chris at STI and he says the mag. release button is designed to hold the mags high,he also said that if the release buttons fixed my problems to go with them.
He made no offers to replace the release buttons that I had to put in my guns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had ordered a extended mag release for my les baer's so I had the origanal on hand so I just used those.
In other words I have les baer release buttons in the Trojans.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all those who read and those who responded.

Mr. Camp:
I intend to call Chris at STI. From all that I have heard, I expect that he will make sure that everything works 100 percent in the end.

Sbbb:
I will definitely ask Chris at STI about the magazine release.

Thanks again,
Philip J. Hoffmann

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
A45acp1911 said:
On my previous (first) trip to the range with my Trojan, I fired about 220 full metal jacket rounds. I experienced a few failures to return to battery, which I attributed to my strong hand thumb position. The slide also failed to lock back a few times, and on some of those occassions, the magazine release did not smoothly release the magazine.
The not lock back or not lock back securely syndrome is typical of a tight 9mm Trojan in 1911. Mine did it when new, and I think it's because STI installs a 12# recoil spring (which is perfect for when it's broken in) but will short cycle a touch when new if you don't absolutely lock your wrists.

The occasional FTRB is also typical because the 9mm round doesn't store a lot of energy in the recoil spring and if the slide and magazine are tight, the slide can run out of forward momentum a touch shy of lockup. Break in makes this go away.

It sounds like this gun would have performed correctly at the factory test firing, since the "drop the mag out" problem didn't appear until after several hundred rounds were fired.

A45acp1911 said:
After the third or fourth round from the new STI magazine, I heard a clatter in front of me, To my dismay, my now half full and formerly fully seated magazine was on the floor. Things went from bad to worse when I determined that neither the original nor the new STI magazines would stay in the the pistol.
That indicate a problem in the mag catch assembly. They take about five seconds to remove on a 1911. I'd look at the notch that is supposed to lock into the mag shell and see what's up. Also, make sure the spring load feels good as you depress the button and see if it moves free and smooth. It sounds like maybe the mag forces the latch over and it isn't locking securely into the slot on the mag shell. A new mag release assy is pretty cheap (like $20) if you want to try a new one and see if it fixes it. The guys at STI might send you one if you explain the problem.

FWIW: I never had a mag drop out, but in my .40SW Trojan I ended up using a jewelers file to elongate the mag catch slot about .025" upward to let the shell down a touch and that cured my feed problems. A new mag catch that holds the shell lower will do the same thing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bountyhunter:

Thanks for the reply. I was/am hopeful that the failure to return to battery and the failure to lock back the slide might be remedied after sufficient break in.

I called STI this morning. Chris (apparently) is out deer hunting. Joe, however, stated that he would sent me out a magazine catch right away. Thus, I will start there.

I hope that the installation of the new catch solves the problem.

PJH

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
A45acp1911 said:
Bountyhunter:

Thanks for the reply. I was/am hopeful that the failure to return to battery and the failure to lock back the slide might be remedied after sufficient break in.

I called STI this morning. Chris (apparently) is out deer hunting. Joe, however, stated that he would sent me out a magazine catch right away. Thus, I will start there.

I hope that the installation of the new catch solves the problem.

PJH
After you install the new catch: take the slide off and slip the mag in. See how close the top corner of the mag is to the ejector corner. If the mag is still riding too high, you may want to try elongating the slot in the mag shell upward a bit to lower it.

Another thing on the 9mm mags: if you load all nine rounds and put the mag in with the slide forward, check how hard it is to lock in. Then hand cycle the first round up and see if it goes nose down and jams. If so, It's riding to high and crushing the stack into the slide. Again, allowing to ride about .020" lower may be the fix.

As for the cycling foibles: you may want to install a 10# recoil spring while breaking it in. The other 9mm 1911 makers use that as their standard spring weight and it will let the slide cycle farther back.

The "no lock back" syndrome can also be caused by the mag follower. On my 9mm Mecgars, the little foot on the follower was not engaging the slide stop correctly. I had to bend the foot outward some. If that foot can slip past the stop, it will cause problems.

As a side note: make sure your gun has a 9mm slide stop and not a .45 slide stop. The part that engages the mag follower is wider on the 9mm slide stop.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm assuming you had the frame and slide refinished prior to actually taking delivery of the gun. This will SEVERELY complicate any break-in associated issues. STIs are well fitted guns from the factory, adding another few thousandths of material will make for a LONG break-in. I'm frankly quite supprised Dawson didn't attempt to discourage you from the refinish until the gun had a few hundred (or better yet, thousand) rounds through it. This probably accounts for most of the stoppage and slide lock related issues.

The mag catch is the likely culprit for the other problem. This can be fixed in about 5min, so Iwouldn't worry to much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PK said:
I'm assuming you had the frame and slide refinished prior to actually taking delivery of the gun. This will SEVERELY complicate any break-in associated issues. STIs are well fitted guns from the factory, adding another few thousandths of material will make for a LONG break-in. I'm frankly quite supprised Dawson didn't attempt to discourage you from the refinish until the gun had a few hundred (or better yet, thousand) rounds through it. This probably accounts for most of the stoppage and slide lock related issues.

The mag catch is the likely culprit for the other problem. This can be fixed in about 5min, so Iwouldn't worry to much.
PK:

You are correct re: refinishing before delivery.

Interesting. STI offers hardchrome of the entire pistol as an option from the factory. I wonder why STI would offer such a service if the pistol really requires complete break in prior to refinishing.

I really hope the magazine catch replacement takes care of the magazine problem.

Thanks for the information,
PJH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts