1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here right handed and left eye dominant? If so, how do you handle this situation in regards to different stance or training you non-dominant eye.. Thanks...

·
Registered
415 Posts
That is an interesting situation. I have 2 shooting buddies with that "problem". One is an experienced shooter, the other is a newcomer. The experienced one has just trained himself over the years to simply hold his pistol farther left. Looks odd, but he shoots really well. The other guy hasn't figured out the best way to handle it yet. Sometimes he shoots left handed, sometimes he tries to close his left eye, sometimes tries the other guy's method.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm left handed and right eye dominant. Back when I was a teenager and first started shooting I made the conscious decision to shoot right handed. I figured between the dominant eye thing and right handed bolt action rifles and pump/auto shotguns that are made for right handers that it would be a wise move on my part to "go with the flow" and just shoot right handed.

That was thirty years ago and I don't really remember being uncomfortable at first and it's certainly completely natural to me now. I've shot many types of competition over the past 25+ years and have always done well. I don't think shooting with my "weak hand" has handicapped me over the years.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Here is a thread that'll help you out.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53541

I struggled with the left eye/right hand bit for a long time and slowly made the switch. Bottom line is now I'm glad I did, I shoot better left and left than I ever did righty pistol, shotgun or rifle. Not sure how much of this is due to practice, but after switching I noticed a rather sudden improvement in my shooting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sometimes I hold my pistol a little more to the left, sometimes I tilt the pistol to the left (when shooting one handed), sometimes I tilt my head the the right, and sometimes I shoot left-handed which doesnt work out very well for me in terms of accuracy. I need something that cheaper to feed so I can get more handgun practice with my left hand...

Longarms get fired from the left shoulder.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am right handed left eye dominant.
I don't notice as much shooting handgun as I do shotgun or rifle.
I think that is the main reason I have always enjoyed shooting handguns so much more.
I shoot with both eyes open, so like I said I don't really notice it that much.
I guess I do tend to almost rest my right cheek on my right arm when I shoot. I don't know if this is correct or not.

·
Registered
415 Posts
YammyMonkey said:
Here is a thread that'll help you out.

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53541

I struggled with the left eye/right hand bit for a long time and slowly made the switch. Bottom line is now I'm glad I did, I shoot better left and left than I ever did righty pistol, shotgun or rifle. Not sure how much of this is due to practice, but after switching I noticed a rather sudden improvement in my shooting.
Just an up-date here. Went out shooting this morning with the new shooter I mentioned earlier. I told him about Yammy's post. He tried shooting left handed and his shots were dead on. Before that, they were all over the place. A drastic improvement. Great advice, Yammy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Shooting handguns, I just move gun slightly to the left and also kind of tuck my tuck my chin into my shoulder. I actually think it kind of helps because it enables me to insure that I'm assuming the exact same position each time. For rifles I just shoot left handed. Always have so if feels completely normal. Again, I'm not sure it isn't actually an advantage having my stronger arm supporting the weight of the gun.

·
Registered
562 Posts
pippin said:
I'm right handed and left eye dominant. Shooting handguns, I just move gun slightly to the left and also kind of tuck my tuck my chin into my shoulder. I actually think it kind of helps because it enables me to insure that I'm assuming the exact same position each time. For rifles I just shoot left handed. Always have so if feels completely normal. Again, I'm not sure it isn't actually an advantage having my stronger arm supporting the weight of the gun.
Exactly my situation & exactly what I do. The only drawback is when I'm skeet shooting as I tend to get hit in the face much more frequently with the ejected shells (someday I'll get a left handed gun!)

I've found that I do much better moving the pistol slightly to the left...don't think I could do near the same by trying to shoot left handed.

Tell your newcomer to just keep practicing and he'll find something that works for him.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm also right handed-left eye dominant. I've never had any issues, I've always shot this way. I shoot my rifles left handed.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This isn't scientific, but it works for me. I simply close my left eye, slightly. It seems to work for me. I'm a pretty decent shot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Glad I could help.

For those of you fighting shooting pistol lefty; just give it a try for a month (if you shoot regularly). Shoot some with your right and your left, eventually working up more and more left hand time. This worked great for me, I can't even brush my teeth left handed but I can shoot great. No problems with the draw and holstering either; just need a bit of practice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts