1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In mid-1939, the Singer Manufacturing Company of Elizabeth, New Jersey, was awarded a Production Study of the Model 1911A1 pistol. They prepared drawings, researched production methods, and developed standard raw material sizes. This Singer production study was adopted by Ithica, Remington Rand, and Union Switch & Signal Company in 1942.
On April 17, 1940, before the production study was completed, Singer was awarded Educational Order No. W-ORD-396, for the manufacture of 500 Automatic Pistols, Caliber .45, M1911A1; and one set of guages, jigs, fixtures, machines, patterns, and other processing equipment for mass production of these pistols. Terms of the contract specified that the order was to be completed on or before May 1, 1942. Singer coordinated with Colt to establish interchangeability requirements, and Du-Lite bluing was approved by the Ordnance Department.
Singer established production facilities at their plant in Elizabethport, New Jersey. This plant was built during World War I for the manufacture of Hydropneumatic Recoil Mechanisms(recuperators) for the French 75 mm
field gun, and successfully manufactured these recuperators during the war. On May 21, 1940, the New York Ordnance District under the command of Colonel John K. Clement,
Executive Officer and Army Inspector of Ordnance, was designated to administer the educational order. His JKC initials were stamped on the 500 pistols inspected avd accepted by the Ordnance Department. These pistols were posted in Ordnance procurement records in December 1941, although evidence
suggests that they were assembled in November. They were shipped to Springfield Armory, and all or most of them were reportedly distrbuted to the Army Air Corps. Singer manufactured every part of the pistol except the plastic stocks, which were molded by the Keyes Fibre Company of New York City. These stocks were made without strengthening ribs in accordance with specifications at that time. Singer also manufactured magazines for these pistols, which were full blued by the same Du-Lite process.
It would seem that the Ordnance Department had found an excellent manufacturer of pistols, but Singer management preferred to concentrate their efforts on an item that would require more utilization of their manufacturing departments and vast numbers of machine tools. In March 1941, some eight months before the educational order was completed, Singer accepted a production order for M5 and M6 Artillery Fire Control Directors. In June, they were awarded a production order for 15,000 pistols, but the company regarded the manufacture of Fire Control Directors to be more of an opportunity to prove their capabilities. By the end of 1941 they were an important supplier of that commodity. Since the Fire Control program was of more importance than the pistol program, the government found it necessary to cancel the pistol order. This order was reassigned to Colt. The production equipment utilized for the educational order was shipped to the Remington Rand plant in Syracuse, New York, and placed in an equipment pool on May 25, 1942. for distribution to other contactors and subcontractors of the pistol. Most of the Singer equipment was used by Remington Rand.
SLIDE MARKING, left side:
S. MFG. CO.
ELIZABETH,N.J.U.S.A.

RECEIVER MARKING, left side:
Inspector's mark - JKC (John K. Clement,Col.)

RECEIVER MARKING, right side:
UNITED STATES PROPERTY M 1911 A1 U.S.ARMY
No S800001-S800500

"P" PROOF MARKS-top of slide(leg of "P" pointing forward).
-left side if receiver.
-left barrel lug.
Copied from Charles W. Clawson book complete with photo of Singer and other rare 1911's. A&P

·
Administrator
74,641 Posts
Funny thing, I have a gun just like one of those! Same specs, same parts, same everything. Only difference it says Remington-Rand on it. That one little detail makes it worth less than 1/20 what a Singer is.

Kinda depressing thought, isn't it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another thing which make any manufactured 1911 worth more. Is documentation it was owned by a General. It is fun to have these old relics as they are all becoming rare.

·
Registered
74 Posts
That's it! I've crossed out "Colt" on my 44 1911A1 and with crayon printed "Singer".

I'm off to the gunshow to sell it for a gazillion dollars!

Wish me luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.