1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just bought 2 boxes of hardball of a "name" brand of ammo ,something just didn't seem right about the rounds as they chambered with more resistance in my SA than is normal.
the mouth of the cases felt sharp and ridged
instead of a smooth transition thru the taper crimp,i dropped several into my checkdie that i use for reloads and they stuck in the die... i had to use my LEE factorycrimp die to size the cartridges so they would feed and function...if any of you are shooting factory ammo of US manufacture and having feeding problems,dont blame your gun ! check the ammo for quality control problems,,, I wont post the brand name until after i contact the factory and see what they have to say and offer to do...when rounds wont go into a maximum checkdie without sticking you can bet they won't work worth a BLEEP in your pistol..
The whole point of this post is ;it may not be the pistol's fault,even if its factory ammo...

------------------

·
Registered
403 Posts
Had a similar problem a few years back with some 45 ACP 230 grain Federal ammo. It was the generic whitebox with the NATO markings. I still have the boxes as a reminder.

The ammunition was being sold by J&G out of Prescott, Arizona and was touted as military surplus. I purchased 500 rounds.

It was the only factory ammunition I have ever had any problems with.

It simply was not crimped well in my best estimation. At least one round every other magazine would hang up during feed.

To make it worse, the primer pockets require reaming to reload properly.

Looking forward to your mention of the cause.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as to the cause,well as near as i can figure the ammo just wasn't crimped properly.. a sharp ridge all around the case mouth,and the mouths measured .472-.473 on average..the LEE fac/crimp die reduced the crimp to a consistant .469 and removed the sharp edge.. .469 seems to be the measurement that all the proper check dies will accept.. they slip into my SA's chamber just as they should,but i'm not gonna use them unless the factory techs ok it... god only knows what else might be wrong with this stuff...hd

------------------

[This message has been edited by apollyon (edited 11-15-2001).]

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Go ahead and post the name of the ammo maker. We'd all like to know if somebody is shipping crappy ammo that could jam a gun. And if it's Wolf, you couldn't say anything bad that hasn't already been said.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still waiting for my response from the manufactuer( sent e-mail this am..)will be sure to post results/response asap.its not wolf ammo ,i guess anyone can screw up.. hd

------------------

[This message has been edited by apollyon (edited 11-15-2001).]

T

·
0 Posts
Could you please post the manufacturer so that others might not be snared by it also?
An annonomus explanation of a problem does no good if others don't know what to watch out for.
Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Yeah, tell us the name of the stuff, I doubt the manufacturer is on this forum watching for complaints.And if they do give you some type of satisfaction you can always come back and tell us good they treated you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
since you insist its federal american eagle #ae45a lot #460076t135,45acp 230 hardball..
i've had such good luck with AE in the past that i was most suprised to encounter these problems...

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts