1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lee in 45 and will get one for the 9 mm
Are the RCBS TAPER CRIMP SEATER DIE 9MM LUGER as good?:confused:

·
Registered
651 Posts

LEE die

The Lee die squeezes straight in on a small area of the case mouth. A taper crimp die as made by RCBS or others is just a slightly tapers funnel that straightens the flare that was done so the bullet can be seated.

A roll crimp die has a abrupt crimping shoulder which rolls the flare into a groove in the bullet.

A roll crimp holds the bullet by the inward turned metal as well as the tension of the case. A 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth, a heavy roll crimp alters the headspace, a taper crimp does not. That improves accuracy and in extreme cases a rolled crimped load could have a safety problem.

A roll crimp die can be adjusted to just barely turn the flare, but if te case was flared too much, a taper crimper can straighten the case w/o causing other problems.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Lee in 45 and will get one for the 9 mm
Are the RCBS TAPER CRIMP SEATER DIE 9MM LUGER as good?:confused:

Sorry should have said I have a Lee factory crimp for 45acp
And will get another for the 9mm.
Was wondering if they were both the same and just could not use the same name since it was copy righted?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Well they are not the same. Your LFCD does not seat the bullet. The RCBS, if your description is correct is a seater and taper crimp die. Straight walled or tapered wall pistol dies are almost always taper crimp/seating dies. Revolver dies are usually roll crimp/seating dies. I use a Lyman taper crimp die in 45acp. I like it very much. **I would suppose you could seat with your regular 9mm seating die. Pull the bullet seating stem up high enough on the RCBS die, and just use it to taper crimp. I'm sure this would work. If you wanted to seat and crimp in seperate stations.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
The Lee FCD also post-sizes the case. The picture of the FCD provided by Jim is of a Lee rifle FCD, which, in no way, works the same as the FCD for straightwall handgun loads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do Not use with Lead Bullets

I would suugest you only use the Lee FCD on jacketed bullets. I have documented significant changes in bullet diameter with lead bullets. The lead squeezes tigher in diameter and does not spring back. This causes inconsistency in accuraccy. I really chased my tail solving this one. I use Redding taper crimp dies. An acquantance of mine ordered a special one from Lee with the sizing portion at the bottom of the die ground .001" larger in diameter and that solved the problem.

With that said, if I was shooting jacketed, I would not hesitate to use the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had no issues at all with the Lee factory crimp die with 45 ACP and cast lead bullets. On the contrary, I've found it to be incredibly consistent and easy to use.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would suugest you only use the Lee FCD on jacketed bullets. I have documented significant changes in bullet diameter with lead bullets. The lead squeezes tigher in diameter and does not spring back. This causes inconsistency in accuraccy. I really chased my tail solving this one. I use Redding taper crimp dies. An acquantance of mine ordered a special one from Lee with the sizing portion at the bottom of the die ground .001" larger in diameter and that solved the problem.

With that said, if I was shooting jacketed, I would not hesitate to use the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
3 days ago my son ran 16 50rnd boxes of 45acp 230rnl threw the lee factory crimp die...... hope they are ok

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I use the FCD with jacketed and lead. I have heard the stories of them squishing the lead bullets so I thought I would do a test. I size my cast bullets at .452. I seated a few and ran them into the FCD but no crimp. I pulled the bullets and they still measured .452. I can see it squeezing an over sized bullet or a FCD being out of spec. If that's the case contact Lee and they will get you a die that is in spec. I don't use a round that has been post sized and fixed but I do like to use the post sizing feature as a case gage because I don't want to spend the extra time running every case through a case gage. By the way in four years and thousands of rounds I have only had two rounds get post sized. They were both FMJ in 9mm and I use the FCD for every caliber I load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts