1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else's guide rod look like this from the factory? nicks along the edges and uneven face? I dont see how it would cause any problems, but not what I expected from dan wesson. Perhaps this one got overlooked in QC..

Attachments

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Pics don't work. You can't link from your Google account.

Regardless, I'd just contact DW and tell them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I bought it brand new about a month ago. I'll have to call DW but I may wait until I can detail strip it to make sure there are no more surprises..

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just picked up a new Valor and the guide rod looks justo like yours. I was kind of surprised to see that type of machine work. I will see how it shoots and go from there.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It looks like who ever worked on that GR was a newbie or drunk. I'd send a pic of that to Keith at DW and see what he has to say.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The circle part of mine looks like that. Ill take a picture sometime to show it.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
So what failure are you experiencing??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just had 3 or 4 failure to return to battery out of 200 rounds. I figured I would put at least a few hundred more rounds before worrying about it. I'm not sure if the guide rod would cause any issues but I will prob contact Dan Wesson next week and see what they say about it..

·
Registered
215 Posts
...my brand new, in box PM9 just came to me with one red grip panel (l) and one medium brown grip (r). I sent them back to DW for something more along the lines of 'matching'. Obviously hard to see them together at any given time while installed, but still.... Great shooter, I love the gun, but maybe QC/final inspection never catch stuff like this?

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I just had 3 or 4 failure to return to battery out of 200 rounds. I figured I would put at least a few hundred more rounds before worrying about it. I'm not sure if the guide rod would cause any issues but I will prob contact Dan Wesson next week and see what they say about it..
Try running it wet/wetter and adding a little more oil on the rails mid range session. They're tight, my Valor would exhibit a few feed and return to battery failures approaching the 100 round mark during range sessions when it was new. Solved by adding some oil during the session. It was no longer necessary after a while, I'd say after it was closing in on 1K rounds.

No, neither the guide rod on my Valor nor Guardian look like that. Doubtful that it's the cause of your return to battery failures but I'd want replacements. DW's are too expensive to let it slide (IMO anyway) and prices aren't dropping.

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Looks just about normal to me. Some may look a bit better, but all should have some grinding done to them.

Bob

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I seriously doubt this is the cause for a 1.5 - 2% failure rate. Honestly....I don't see an issue. It's not the prettiest thing in the world but it's sitting inside the gun. It's not like you pull open the safe and see a big chunk out of the slide.

Obviously it's your money that you spent and I suppose you could contact DW and they'd throw you a new one if it bothers you that much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts