All Wolff springs

Full sized .45 18.5 lb
Full sized 10mm 20.0 lb
Full sized .40 S&W 16.0 lb
Full sized 9mm 10.0 lb

Commander .45 20.0 lb
Commander 10mm 22.0 lb
Commander 9mm 12.0 lb

These are all standard springs. No variable springs.

Full sized mainsprings 18.5 lb

Bobtail mainsprings 23 lb

Firing pin springs
Extra power or Extra, Extra power

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Thanks Keith!

I second the nomination to make this a sticky. How many times has this info been asked for (me included)?

·
Registered
865 Posts
The Colt factory recoil spring weight is 18lbs for a Commander. If one never shot any +P stuff would the 18lb spring offer any advantages?

Keith, could you also specify the recommended spring replacement intervals?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are right Dave. Spring weights have been fairly consistent since 2005.

Follow Wolff's recommendations on spring change intervals. If you are shooting a lot of high power loads, change your recoil spring more often. Also change the commanders more often than their full size counterparts.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
NOTE: Many shooters find the factory mainspring weights in their CBOB are inadequate for reliable ignition. I personally recommend using only the Wolff 23# sping in the CBOB platform carry pistol. Same goes for the CCO pistol, when used for carry.

·
Registered
865 Posts
NOTE: Many shooters find the factory mainspring weights in their CBOB are inadequate for reliable ignition. I personally recommend using only the Wolff 23# sping in the CBOB platform carry pistol. Same goes for the CCO pistol, when used for carry.
I have a Wilson 21lb mainspring in my CBOB with no problems with ignition. It makes a nice big, deep dent in primers. I believe my EGW oversized ".073" FP has a lot to do with the reliable ignition.

I'm no gunsmith, but I think the ignition problem in some CBOB's could be related to the anorexic firing pin combined with powder build up in the pin hole/FP tunnel. Browning designed the 1911 with a .090" firing pin, and DW and other builders use pins sized for the physically smaller primer of a 9mm/38 super. I believe the core issue of most ignition problems in a CBOB is the pin size DW uses does not sufficient mass/weight to light the primer, which is larger than the pin size was created for. A heavier spring may be more of a bandaid than a solution.

I think some people may need to ream the FP hole and put in a larger/heavier FP more appropriate for a .45 size primer to really address this issue correctly.

·
Banned
290 Posts
Firing pin - DW Bobtail

Can I use regular 1911 firepins on the DW Bobtail Commander? I am looking into iinstaling the Wilson bullet proof firing pin.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I just ordered a Wilson 22# spring with a set of shok-buff's. I know the list says 20# for a full sized 10mm (I have a RZ-10). Any issues with this spring setup?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I believe the shock buffs are to be used when you are running lighter springs (#13, 14, 15, 16), not stronger.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I just ordered a Wilson 22# spring with a set of shok-buff's. I know the list says 20# for a full sized 10mm (I have a RZ-10). Any issues with this spring setup?
Just as a follow up to this post several month ago, I have been running the 22# w/ Shok-Buff's since I posted this and it runs with out a hiccup. I liked it so much that my new '09 Razorback 10mm has the same springs & shok buff's. Works great and I've had not FTF in either of these since. Highly recommended.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts