1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to this forum, I hope for some input. I have a Springfield MilSpec .45 with less than 500 rounds shot through it. At times when I insert a magazine and rack the slide, the round won't chamber or if it does, it doens't fire. This happened to me today three times today using Wilson Combat magazines 8 round, and the factory 7 round magazines. I am using RN lead 230 gr., 4.0 grs. Bullesye. and CCI 300 primers. When this happens, I clear the chamber and reinsert the magazine without problems. At other times on the range I have no problems what soever. I thank you in advance for any input.

·
Registered
22,192 Posts
Have you gauged or chamber checked (barrel out of the gun) your reloads? They should chamber freely. If they don't, a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die will size the loaded round and fix that.

The ones that don't fire... are the primers dented?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Some lead bullets are made so that they tend to hang up on the sharp chamber mouth, preventing the round from fully seating. This will prevent the gun from going into battery so the disconnector won't reengage and the hammer won't fall. Alternatively, the slide may be far enough forward that the hammer will drop but too far back for the hammer to contact the firing pin.

Bullet and crimping problems can usually be detected with the barrel out of the gun. The answers usually involve changing bullets and/or using a taper crimp die.

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
Senor,
You might find that your Milspec Springfield will not reliably operate with lead ammo. My "Loaded" model positively will not. I can't think of any reason why the CCI 300 primers are not igniting. I've loaded thousands of them and have never had one not ignite. I doubt that the problem lies with the primers. That leaves headspace or primer seating depth as the only other possible culprits. Are you trimming your cases properly? Are you seating your primers properly? Are you cleaning your primer pockets?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think it's most likely that the primers aren't igniting because the round is not in fact fully chambered. It's probably just a fraction of an inch shy; enough to allow the hammer to fall but just pushing the round home with the firing pin rather than setting it off. Is there a firing pin mark on the primer when it doesn't go bang?

I'd remove the barrel from the gun and dry fit a round into the chamber. Compare how far it projects relative to the barrel hood to a resized but empty cartridge case. They should be very close; the empty case will headspace on the chamber rim inside the barrel and the completed cartidge should be no more than just a tad further out than that if at all. If it projects too far, seat your bullet a little deeper until it looks good. If your cartridge doesn't drop easily into the chamber (barrel removed, again), you may have to increase your crimp slightly.

If these look good, there is another possibility I've had happen. If you over-crimp or use very light loads the chamber will foul with powder residue very quickly and rounds will have problems chambering. Does it occur right off the bat, or only after a number of firings? If the latter, check the chamber for crud that is preventing the round from entering all the way. Light loads prevent the brass from expanding inside the chamber and creating a good seal, which allows powder residue to flash back along the case mouth inside the chamber and build up. Too tight a crimp can also prevent a good seal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to those who relplied. I think I have mis-diagnosed my problem. I went to the range today, fired approximately 40 rounds. I only had one incident of not firing. The bullet is chambering properly, but the trigger will not fire. I think my problem is with the safety and not the bullet. When it failed to fire, I put the gun back on safe, and immediately took it off, and the gun fired. I will investigate further by removing the safety and doing a thorough cleaning. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Whoa, there!

If you believe that the problem is the safety lock, I would box that pistol up, and send it back to Springfield, post haste!! Don't take shortcuts with this.

Contact Springfield, they should be most helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts