1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all!
I recently re-acquired a Colt MK IV Series 80 in 9mm. I bought this gun back in the mid 80's and gave it to my Brother when I owed him some $.

I got it back and finally took it to the range.

Problem #1: Using the original magazine, the spent round in the chamber would not eject, thus causing the next round to jam up as it tried to feed.

Problem #2: I picked up a new Kimber 9mm magazine as it looked exactly like the original Colt mag (dimensions of everything were right on). This mag is very tight and does not want to lock up into the gun, nor does it want to drop free.
In addition to this issue, it would not feed rounds properly as the gun would cycle. I would have to rack the slide to get another round into the chamber, it would fire, but not pull another round up.

I admit when I got it back, I did not do a detailed cleaning of it, merely a basic field strip, clean and lube...so there could be some issues with dirt, but not likely.

I'm thinking extractor problem, but don't really know how to diagnose that.

Thank you in advance for your help in getting my old buddy running again!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The first thing I'd do is clean it thoroughly and then do a really good cleaning job of the chamber. Then oil the rails and muzzle.
Second...check to make sure the extractor claw is still there (they do break occasionally).
Then put a spent case in the chamber, close the slide and see if the extractor pulls the case all the way out and holds it until it makes contact with the ejector. If it does, try shooting it again...if not, put a little more pressure on the extractor and try a dry-extraction again.
On that new Kimber mag...if it was mine I'd see how far I could throw it! You can do a lot of tweaking and get it to work...but is it worth it when a different mag might work without all that work.

Bob

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
You confused me by the word eject. :)

If the case is still in the chamber the problem is a Failure to Extract and is, indeed, a problem with the extractor or a filthy chamber.

Do the extractor checks as highlighted earlier. You need to completely strip and clean the pistol, not just field strip it. Don't lose the little Series 80 parts.

I have a M1991 Government Model in 9mm and had extraction issues late into a 1800+ round course last May. Couldn't get good extractor tension. Wasn't a killer, I passed the final exam without stoppage, but I did get several practice sessons clearing a Failure to Extract.

I ended up installing the AFTEC extractor. Since this doesn's allow the Series 80 plunger to fit I also fitted the spacer plate after removing the Series 80 slide parts. Hasn't missed a beat since.

Now called MILLENIUM CUSTOM II extractor. Brownell's part number 466-001-009 fits the Colt's Governent 9mm.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, gents.

I suppose it is time for me to tear it down and learn how that thing works!

The chamber appears clean and the extractor claw is there, though it seems pretty smooth/rounded.

I'll let you know how this plays out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts