1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I picked up my Loaded Stainless, I've been having numerous failures to eject/feed. After a month breaking in the pistol, I finally sent it back to SA for some warranty work. After 7 weeks, I finally got it back this past Friday. I put 150 rounds through it, with one FTE. I'm beginning to wonder if the problem might be one of design. I've heard of many gunsmiths installing a so-called angled ejector in the hopes of eliminating FTEs. Could this be what I am in need of? Or should I once again send the pistol back to SA?

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I'd hate for you to have to send it back again.

What do the FTEs look like? are they stovepiping in the ejection port, are they not coming out of the chamber at all? Can you describe it or post a photo?

Are you shooting the same ammo that Springfield uses to testfire with? what type and brand are you using?

Depending on all that it could be the ejector, could be the recoil spring, hammer spring, or something else. Let us know,so we can help narrow this down a little.

·
Registered
703 Posts
In my experience, FTE is the tension of the extractor 9 out of 10 times. The other possible culprit might be the recoil spring. Check those things in that order before you send it back.

------------------
If it wasn't for the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I'm currently using PMC 230 gr. FMJ, the same ammo SA used to test fire the pistol. And the spent casings are indeed stovepiping in the ejection port; extraction doesn't seem to be a problem. Like I said, it basically looks like the casing isn't hitting the ejector every time.

As for the extractor tension, it was indeed low according ot SA techs, but I would hope that that was corrected before they sent it back to me.

Looks like I might want to pick up some replacement springs, just to eliminate that possibility. Any suggestions as to tension?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts