1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is very similar to the topic posted by Jerk, except in his case his Kimber never did feed reliably. Mine was doing fine and now isn't.

My Kimber Gold Match has been performing flawlessly for some time, but yesterday when I went to the range, it began to have failure to feed problems.

Extraction of the spent round was fine, but the next round was getting "stuck" on the feed ramp. A quick pull-back on the slide and then releasing it would get me going again.

This was with Speer Gold Dot JHPs and also (but less often) with Speer Lawman 230 gr. FMJs.

Also, this was happening with all four magazines I have (2 Wilson 8 rounders, 1 Mec-Gar 7 rounder, and two Shooting Star 7 rounders) so I doubt that the magazine part of the equation is the problem.

So, what do you think? Recoil spring is needing replacement, perhaps? It's only got about 1500 rounds on it.

If the recoil spring should be replaced, should I go with the Kimber stock Wolf 16 lb. spring, or the extra power 18.5 lb. spring that Wilson recommends?

Any advice is gratefully received,

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Have you done anything to the gun in between sessions? Like add a shok-buff? Or maybe using different ammo? It seems strange that it use to work fine but now has problems.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had a shock buffer (Wilson) in it for quite some time with no problems. The new thing in the equation is the Gold Dot JHPs.

I just cleaned the pistol today and there were little tiny pieces of metal everywhere. There doesn't appear to be any wear on the gun itself, so I have to conclude that the tiny fragments are coming off the bullets, jackets, or cases.

I examined the cases at the range, and couldn't see any damage to them, so maybe the fragments are from the jackets or bullets?

Anyway the gun was exceptionally dirty and littered with all these tiny fragments. Maybe that was causing the problem.

Anyway, this shooting stuff is fun and I'm glad you'all are here to ask questions of!

·
Registered
802 Posts
RANash

What color were the metal fragments - brass, copper, silver? Are you sure they were metal or could they have been powder flakes? Brass shavings can be common sometimes but metal sounds odd - I haven't shot the Gold Dots much so it may be something from the nose of those?

If it was very dirty, function can get sluggish. It wouldn't hurt to replace the spring anyway - I like the 18.5's. Also make sure the ramp is polished.

I'd detail strip it and check all parts like the disconnector tip, firing pin etc for crumbling or some other source for the metal pieces. Otherwise, maybe a different type of ammo next time and watch for the same probs.

JSP

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pieces are brass. Evidently from the Gold Dots.

I am beginning to think that the dirt and brass chips were the problem. I am not used to having that much dirtiness so quickly, so never really gave that a thought. However, I was amazed at how much carbon there was, and at the amount of the brass chips when I cleaned it.

I will take your suggestion, JSP, and detail strip it, and examine everything. It's overdue for that anyway, having been about 1500 rounds since the last time. And, springs are cheap, so I'll just go ahead and replace it also.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's old news of course, but that Gold Match ( as well as all Kimbers ) have a chamber cut to "match" specifications. That means the chamber is "small". No extra room in there for dirt, chips, flakes... Keep that chamber cleaned out. I hope that's all the problem is.

------------------
Rust never sleeps

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Do all the recommended change and get back in action! Sounds like it just needs normal upkeep! Springs, buff, clean, shoot, repeat!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts