1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a frequent failure to feed the first round off the magazine from slide lock position. Once the pistol is up and cycling everything runs fine. It occurs with all my mags including Wilson, Mecgar and McCormick. At first I thought it might be recoil spring and/or bullet set back problems. But I have now investigated and corrected both and am still having this glitch. Factory ball tends to hang up just as much as factory jhp and my handloads. If I stop and wire brush the ramp and the chamber it seems to help. But what's up with THAT?!? It's supposed to be a 1911, eh? I don't have an exact round count, but it starts showing up as soon as the gun starts getting dirty, maybe a hundred rounds or so. Yeah, I know, not a "real world" concern, but a major pain in the butt during tactical training and competition. I'm getting snide remarks from the Glockophiles. Tips will be much appreciated. Stay safe.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm no pistolsmith but here's my best guess. If this occurs with all mag's and all ammo it be'da gun. If it's under warranty send it in for some throat work at there expense since it's not feeding normally. If not find a good 1911 'smith in your area and have him do the beveling, reaming and polishing thing.
Since the gun does cycle AFTER manually chambering the first, it sounds to me like it will be a easy fix. In the mean time, remove the magazine, unload the gun and "dry cycle" to help seat things good. DON'T drop the slide!! OUCH

just cycle manually, "up 'n back", fully. After some TLC she'll be running great. Good luck.

·
Registered
802 Posts
nw

If the bullet nose is sticking against the ramp, a good polish may solve the problem.
If the nose is hanging further up at the barrel/ramp juncture, throating the barrel may be involved.

Another consideration if the problem persists...sometimes the mag catch can be out of spec, allowing the mag to sit a touch lower than normal - I've seen a couple out-of-spec catches that kept pistols from feeding well with any mag.

Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pistol is a relatively new Springfield "loaded" with a 5" barrel. I checked the chamber mouth and it looks fairly well "throated" already. I'm not sure how much a highly polished ramp and throat would help as the glitch occurs after a couple of hundred rounds and everything is pretty dirty. One thing I do notice is that the chamber itself looks maybe just a tad "short". A round just barely sets in there, absolutely no gap between the end of the hood and the end of the round. I'll try swapping out the mag catch today. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Tight chamber...You say "all" rounds jam, not just the longer Ball Ammo. Ball is around 1.250 - 1.265 or thereabouts and the JHPs a bit shorter...If it's tight enough that just the residue is 'causin' it to not be fully chambered...not sure...Contact SA or have a sith friend measure the chamber and specs' to see what you've really got there...If the polishin' will help fine(but just polish) don't be removin' anything
and certainly have someone measure everything just to see what's what...If ya' sart blindly changin' parts, you may have the whole thing replaced before long

Clean and a good lube job, shoot the crap out of it and get a smith to check it...No relief...contact SA...

...good luck

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
802 Posts
nw

If the slide lock FTF is "first round nose down" against the ramp - could be due to mag/follower, slow slide inertia, dull ramp, bad ramp angle or the mag being a little low.

If the FTF is the round failing to completely seat in the chamber, like Gyp-c says, it may be tight or short and need to be reamed/polished.

By any chance, is it one of the "ramped" SA barrels?

[This message has been edited by JSP (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Registered
386 Posts
Out of curiosity, does the first round FTF only if the magazine is full? In other words, if you load the magazine with one or two less rounds and start with the slide locked back, does it still jam? If so, logic would say the problem has to do with the slide going into battery from lock rather than the magazine, non?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Another thought--you're not doing something different when releasing the slide from lock, are you? Like maybe pointing the muzzle up or down which would account for the variation on first rounds? Do you use the slide release or release it by racking back by hand and releasing? Sorry to be a pest, but I can't help thinking these sorts of questions will narrow down the source of the problem...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, it's a pain being a "newbee"....again! After some more diagnosis, my F2F problem looks to be mostly ammo and magazine related, with some learning curve thrown in. That's what I get for being out of touch with the 1911 format for a decade or so. Having said that, I'm not real warm and fuzzy about the way that Springfield has way over-ramped this barrel and cut the chamber so tight and short. (gyp_c: chamber looks right at "spec" with no extra whatsoever). I pulled from the vault the last Springfield I bought (around 1990) and compared the two. Lots of changes, which is why the new one shoots a heck of a lot better, when I pay attention to details on my end. I even checked out the mag catch as JSP suggested. That's when I began to get a picture of what some magazines were doing in the feed cycle. Some brands let that first round out pretty dang low and right square into the ramp. Combined with the crud build up from around 300 rounds of ammo (assembled with those cheap-ass plated bullets) and presto! Jam-city. I'm off to the range tomorrow to confirm (or deny!) my new hypothesis. If all goes well I'll struggle along with this SA pistol until I can convince myself to buy a more upscale unit. Thanks to all for your input. Stay safe.

·
Registered
293 Posts
what your describing is what happened to my brothers new loaded model, we finally throated the chamber and things have been working fine, i hadn't even thought about the slide lock, i will mention that to him just to be on the safe side. but polishing the inside of the chamber has seemed to do the job!

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
nwgunman, you may want to consider sending it back to SA and have them make it right. Might be less $$ than having to trade.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your findings!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RUSSEL213: I'm almost certain the problem is not related to the configuration of the chamber. This pistol came from the factory "throated" a little bit beyond what I'm comfortable with. There's a whole heck of a lot of exposed (i.e. "unsupported"!) brass hanging out there. Fired cases are not showing any undue signs of bulging so I'm not sweating it. The ol .45acp is pretty low pressure which helps with this. Anyhow, I'm glad to hear your SA is up and runing. I picked up mine as a entry level unit to see if I really wanted to go "back" to the 1911 format....yup, I do! Next will most likely be a Les Baer or similar. Stay safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It could be the frame/rail is a bit tight...if it's a new gun. You might want to play with some recoil springs which will affect the timing and also how the slide functions on the rails. Sometimes you just need a drop of Militec-1 oil on each rail. This gun will probably "fix itself" if you keep shooting it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts