1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Failure to feeds persisting, ideas? Updated 10DEC05

Hello all, have a new SA Loaded Champion with which I have had failures to feed. Sent it back to SA to have them look at it, but it is still doing it. I have only fired WWB and Remington UMC ammo thru it. Seems to be worse with the WWB. Magazines used are the stock 7 rounders, McCormick Shooting Star 8 rounder, Power Mag 10 rounder, Wilson 47D's and now Tripp Cobra 8 rounders. It seems that the rounds are getting hung up on the feed ramp and not chambering. I clean and oil the snot out of the gun after every range trip. I have over 1000 rounds thru the pistol and am still having this problem. Also, to clear the misfed round I have to first drop the magazine and then I can clear the round, otherwise the slide almost seemed jammed in place. Extractor issues? I would hope this is not the problem as when the pistol was at SA I had them change the extractor with an EB Hardcore one and would hope they had properly tuned it. Should I send it back again and see if they can get it right this time? It is getting frustrating as I see all these people who have no problems with their SA pistols. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
my vote

I vote with the send it back to SA idea. No matter what it is, they should be able to fix it. If you start dinking with it too much, they may not want to do warranty work.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If it won't feed with those Cobra's, I suspect the feed ramp dimension is wrong...either too short top-to-bottom, or the angle (31 degrees) is wrong. When the slide slams into the base of the round and moves it forward, it' smacks into the feed ramp and stops, right there. If that's your problem, and the Cobratripp mag doesn't work, I don't know what else it could be other than the ramp. I'm assuming here that the extractor is right and the face of the bolt is smooth.

Bob

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on SPringer Champion.

I did end up sending my Loaded Champion home to have Springer look at it again. It took them 2 weeks to get it done, that is the bad news. The good news you may ask? 250 trouble free rounds down range today. I am truly pleased with having a reliable pstol to shoot. They ended up reaming the barrel and making a few other minor adjustments as Deb put it. I am guessing this means that the chamber was a little tight and was causing problems with rounds feeding. Accuracy does not seem to have suffered, just my usual flyers, no match grade single holes but alot of MoBG!

Stay safe, shoot well and Happy Holidays to all!

Oh the heck with it, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Political correctness will be the death of this country.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
extractor, magazine?

I have heard of pistolsmiths test firing a 1911 without the extractor. If the gun malfunctions, the magazine is suspect. If you're following their line of thought. Then if the gun works properly, the extractor is bad and such issues are deduced. The extractor merely orients the round and if tension is too high, binding and jamming will result. Always be cautions, however. Never forget to re-install the extractor. NATIONALMATCH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts