1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some recent problems with failure to fire. This is a intermitent problem. The pistol is a Para Tac-Four. The rounds that don't fire it almost look like a light primer strike. Also I notice the strike is off center a bit.

My questions are:
1) Does different brand ammo make a difference in this situation? (no problem with feeding)

2) Should the off center strike be a concern?

3) What should be the depth of the strike?

4) any other suggestions / thoughts?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Let's start with the obvious,

because it is simple and straightforward:

Remove the firing pin and examine it.

Is it bent, chipped, or otherwise defective? If so, replace it.

What about the firing pin spring - any kinks or bends? If so, replace it.

CLEAN the firing pin tunnel, as you now have everything out of it. A blast of brake cleaner, using the straw to get inside, is good. I also like pipe cleaners to work down the tunnel and clean out the hole in the breechface, although a toothpick from the chamber end will suffice.

If none of the above works, keep notes on what type of ammo the problem occurs with, to see if there is a pattern.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Number 6
I removed the firing pin and immeadiatly didn't like what I saw. The Firing Pin stop has som casting flash in the corners. I don't see any wear in the frame from this but the flash does look like it has had some wear. I'm going to take a file to remove what shouldn't be there.

The Firing Pin looked fine but when I cleaned the hole, I removed a little piece of metal (it looks like some more of that casting flash).

I hope that between these two items I'll have the problem fixed.

I do have another question. How do I remove the extractor. It only comes out part way (about 1/4 ") This slide haS the Model 80 firing pin block safety system. Does that affect how the extractor come out?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts