1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a springfield stainless longslide loaded that I bought new several months ago and only have a few hundred rounds thru. I find that some times the slide will not lock back on the last round. The fault is not how I a am holding the gun I know. I have never had this trouble with other guns or other 1911's . Should I consider sending it in or just keep putting rounds thru it hoping it will break in. I have it completely stock and have had the trouble with 2 kinds of factory 230 grain hardball. I used blazer and winchester white box and federal american eagle red box. These are 3 cheap practice loads that I have never had trouble with. The gun has been cleaned well and well lubed between range trips. The problem seems to occur after the first few mags , then dissapears after maybe 60 or 75 rounds again ????

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Hey "Q"...probably the mags...I have a few that act that way too...Once they are identified, you can mark them to fix at your convenience...Try this...Put the mag well with (empty barrel and mag) butt down on a table with the magazine in it. Push down on the magazine to table and rack the slide...If it locks, then you've got a little problem with either the mag, the catch or both. I've seen them repaired by replacing the followers and springs in the mags, and/or changing the mag release...It's possible that the holes for the catch are out of spec or that the spring is too weak...
Hope that helps some...You might just try to find one magazine that works everytime and compre it to those that don't...the answer may be easily seen...

Let us know...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I also had that same problem a while ago. Weak mag springs were the culprit. I replaced my old springs with extra power Wolf springs. Voila! Problem went away.

Tim

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You both may have hit it right on the head. The mags were the ones that came brand new with the gun. I have never left them loaded even for an hour to wear out. I have always used wilson combat stainless mags and will do a little test and see if the problem comes and goes with the mags. It was strange as the problem did not occur with either mag at the beginning of the shooting session, but did so in the middle and not at the end ?I was going to use my loaded coupon to get some more mags but think I will pass on the cheap ones now. I will let you know how it goes with those mags as I plan a couple shooting trips this next week to break in the new toys I have.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Just a friendly FYI on the mag springs...

...doesn't matter how long they've been left loaded. What wears them is "cycling" them...I leave mine loaded all the time and they seem to work better, not worse...I am speaking of the stock mags that came with my Champion as well as the blue and SS CMC 8 and 10 rds that I use every time I shoot. If one gives me a prob, I take it apart and clean it and make sure the springs aren't "set"...or anything has jammed up the tube, rocks, dirt, mice, etc...so far they all work just fine. I have some spare parts waiting JICase

You might try as an experiment leavin' your SA mags loaded full up for a couple weeks and try them...If you still don't like them, just drop me a note and I'll give you my mailing address...wouldn't want ya' to get mixed up with those "bad" mags...

Another BTW...Brownells sells Wolfe 5%xtra power mag springs that may help if you need some, also they carry Wilson spring and follower replacement kits...Get the best parts and sometimes the old tubes are good for a bit longer...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's the mags!

------------------
If it wasn't for the NRA, the second ammendment would already be gone!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind (however I'm sure is not the case in your particular gun because it would be happening almost all the time); if you use multiple shok-buffs (i.e. stacking them), the slide may not go back far enough to catch the slide stop.

If you stack shok-buffs, test the combination out!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may be the mags, but they have only been loaded about 10 - 12 times each. I got the gun very recently and it was new. The mags I am having issues with were the 2 brand new ones that came with it. I have only loaded the mags at the range and fired them. If loading the mags 12 times ruins the springs then springfield armory mags might make better targets than gun parts. I never drop mags in dirt so they are still clean and 99 percent dry of oil. I did not notice any peaning or unusual wear on the slide or stop , I may have to look closer. I am more tempted to just run a couple hundred more rounds thru it and see if it is the tightness of the slide to frame that is dragging ???? When I assemble the slide to frame I have to kind of hit the slide to get it on the frame because the fit is very tight in some small area. I know also that stainless guns need lube to run ... more than a blued steel gun may require. I use triflow spray oil for cleaning and wiping and even for lubing the gun. Maybe the really tight fit might be my cause. Maybe I will try a tiny bit of grease or anti-seize compound on the rails and see if that is an issue. I kind of discounted it because the gun has run 100 percent of the time flawlessly extracting and feeding. The only problem is the slide going forward on an empty chamber after the last shot. Thanks for your suggestions. By the way I sent in my loaded coupon and bought 6 mo9re springfield mags... so if they are bad I will be really unhappy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
quantico --
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my bet is you will not like the mags from SA. I got my 9mm a few months ago. One factory mag would lock the slide most of the time, the other one would not lock even operating by hand with an empty mag. I broke it trying to bend it and then decided to throw both of them away. I purchased a couple of "Colt" 9mm mags from "Cheaper than Dirt" and they work with no problems. I also use my 38 Super mags in the 9mm SA without any problems.
The bad news is the mags from SA are terrible. The good news is that once you get some good mags you will love it.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Once again...I WILL TAKE ALL THE SA MAGS THAT ANYONE WANTS TO SEND ME!

...If you haven't crossed the 1000 rd mark yet...get busy!!!!

Shoot the crap outta' that thing!!!!

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

These guys have lots of cheap magazines...Try the ss CMC or Mec-Gar...If you wanna' spend lots of money...Buy Colt...
I prefer the CMC...8 & 10rd They have blue, black stainless, and stainless...

They also have lots of replacement grips...If yours are a little sharp, get some cheapos (4.99) and carve yer' name in 'em...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went back to the range today and dropped about 350 rounds thru the 1911 and a sig 220. The 1911 had no failures to lock back with the same springfield mags as before. So far the springfield longslide has about 250 -300 rounds thru it. I have not had any issues other than the slide not locking back... so that makes the springfield 100 percent to feed and fire and extract out of the box. The tight area on the slide is just starting to loosten up and I assume will be just tight soon. Cool gun, buty too many rough edges on the grips and trigger and cocking serations.

·
Banned
100 Posts
If you are using a Shokbuff there's the culprit, change to lighter recoil spring.
Usual last rnd no hold open have been attributed to peeps putting in Shokbuffs and not changing RC Spring that I see alot. As stated throw those casings see if problems remain. If they do and you have tried other posts suggestion's drop down to a 14lb spring if your have a 16lb in there. See what she does.
Im thinking Handgunner or someone had a article about LS keeping LB on last rnds with +p but not standard loads. On long slide SA I beive they even include a different RC Spring just for that.
Good Luck

·
Banned
100 Posts
Originally posted by 45Hardballer:
If you are using a Shokbuff there's the culprit, change to lighter recoil spring.
Usual last rnd no hold open have been attributed to peeps putting in Shokbuffs and not changing RC Spring that I see alot. As stated throw those casings see if problems remain. If they do and you have tried other posts suggestion's drop down to a 14lb spring if your have a 16lb in there. See what she does.
Im thinking Handgunner or someone had a article about LS keeping LB on last rnds with +p but not standard loads. On long slide SA I beive they even include a different RC Spring just for that.
Good Luck
That was suppose to be LS keeping Lock Back on final rnd with standard 45acp. Sorry got it reversed.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem has self corrected with several hundred rounds thru the gun. I never have and never will use a shockbuff insert. I don't mind buying a heavier slide spring if needed, but I don't want to risk reliability issues on some buffer. My series 80 colt has 54000 rounds and no pounding or frame damage... I am not worried about my springfield at all. If it fails or breaks I will just ask springfield for a new one. Lifetime warranty you know...

·
Banned
100 Posts
Quantico, agreed! I do not personally like them. But alot of teardowns have found little blue chips floating around causing problems. LOL
Glad to hear it took care of itself because right now as of today SA is really backlogged. I had a PI9140L on order not suppose to come in until end of month (as soon as one is built) so talked boss into letting me have last new one we had in stock. Just couldn't handle the wait. LOL

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You mean the shock-buffs fall apart and get into the gun parts ????... geeze... I was against them on principal but never never will one of those little critters be found in my gun. What damage or functioning problems can they cause ???? just curious

1 - 17 of 17 Posts