1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some magazines from a custom 1911 maker ( Wilson, Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk etc ) for one of their 1911's. When I attempted to use these magazines in one of their pistols, they jammed the gun and were almost impossible to chamber. I had never experienced this before. I sent the magazines back. I thought, what if I had used them in my 1911 edc without testing them. Bad move. Shook my faith in the 1911. Should it be shaken?

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
Did you contact the maker about the issue? Regardless, any semiautomatic has to have the gun and magazine working properly together or malfunctions will happen. Most of the time, the mags from most makers will work with guns of the design it is intended for (like 1911, P365, Glock, etc.), but there are some individual makes (both gun and magazine) that do not play well together. That's why many gun owners that carry for self-defense or use their guns in competition test each new magazine with their own gun to make sure the gun and new magazine play together nicely. It can happen with any design of semi-auto. Don't lose faith in a design that has worked for over a century, just make sure the magazines you carry play well with your individual carry gun.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Don't lose faith in a design that has worked for over a century, just make sure the magazines you carry play well with your individual carry gun.
Agree. Magazines are a weak point in any auto loader, and occasionally they don’t work right.

It’s why I never use a magazine, even from a known functional and trusted source (like OEM Glock mags, for example) for carry until I’ve run them at the range, it’s just smart to make sure those ones work fine.

I assume from the tone of the post that, OP, you have mags that function in your 1911 already? I’ve had poor performance from even well known mag brands before, everyone puts out a lemon sometimes. If your 1911 has a brand it likes, then I’d suggest use that.

The additional thing I wonder is if it was one of those low profile 8 round mags (like Wilson ETM) that when fully loaded are pretty tough to fully seat and chamber from a closed slide. Dent up the case rim too. But, I’ve never had an issue with them actually shooting fine and have carried 8 round ETM mags in my VBob for years. Eventually the springs do loosen a bit but they’ve always been stiff (even more so than the flush fitting 8 round checkmate mags the gun came with).

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Sorry to read of your expensive 1911, and, mag problems. If it is of any consequence,... from other publiclications,... it seems you are not alone!

Fortunately, I only bought a less than $700 Springfield Mil Spec 1911, and, a dozen $12, Metaform, seven round mags, that have worked from first shot, to last, with 230grn ball and lead, to, 200grn hollow points! So, I can't offer any advice on malfunctions.:unsure:

The best of luck, to you!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Good.

Trust but verify. Every 1911 should be tested hard before serious use.

It's a 1905 design, with the most notoriously bad magazines in the auto loader industry. Don't be too hard on your custom builder. There isn't much room to work with, on a 1911 magazine. It's not his fault that the pistol was designed with skinny stick mags and a floaty top round. Give him a chance to make it right, by returning the mags, or fixing them.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Back in the 1990's, one of the best 1911 pistol smiths in the country - Ed Banks - suggested that I use Vietnam era military issue magazines in my 1911 pistols. He also sold the more expensive mags but said that the military mags were fine so I bought several from him for $7 each. He was right and they've worked in every 1911 I've used them in. A few years ago the CMP offered members a maximum of 10 mags for - IIRC - $8.50 each. Vietnam era and still in their original wrapping. I bought 10. They have been 100% reliable and I've never seen the need to pay for the higher priced name brand mags.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It also could be an ammo problem. Ammo+mags+whatever weirdo nonsense 1911 builders spec to = the mother of all tolerance stacking.

That same ammo might work fine in another mag. Try different ammo in the bad bags.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Everyone has different likes, dislikes, and experiences, but I only buy Colt Checkmate mags with the tapered lip design. I especially don't trust the wadcutter or hybrid design feed lips. I've only had one 1911 that wouldn't feed 230 HPs with them and that was a $499 Springfield Armory LW GI Champion with a ramped barrel. That gun had so many problems that I never tried to resolve that issue, just stuck it in the safe and tried to forget how much money I spent trying to make it right.

·
Registered
13,701 Posts
Good.

Trust but verify. Every 1911 should be tested hard before serious use.

It's a 1905 design, with the most notoriously bad magazines in the auto loader industry. Don't be too hard on your custom builder. There isn't much room to work with, on a 1911 magazine. It's not his fault that the pistol was designed with skinny stick mags and a floaty top round. Give him a chance to make it right, by returning the mags, or fixing them.
^^^
This.

___

OP: No, your faith should not be shaken. But in line with that remark Ronald Reagan made decades ago, “Trust but verify”.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I don't know why an experience of this sort would shake your faith in any particular firearm? Occasional mag issues seem to be a fairly common occurrence with just about any autoloader - pistol or long-gun. Look at how many folks have issues with factory 25-rounders in 10/22 rifles. Seems to me it's a normal part of assessing how any new magazine will function in a new pistol. If it was truly a faith-shaking experience, we'd all be back to using revolvers and non-mag fed rifles.

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
There are a lot of factors that could be involved in "jammed the gun and were almost impossible to chamber".

I recently bought my first gun in 9mm and with a polymer frame, a Beretta PX4 (because I still can't take the striker fired leap), and was looking forward to the consistency of a gun only made by one company and magazines (probably) only made by one company.

I bought a handful of extra mags for this gun. What I found was most of these mags wouldn't cycle ammo all the way through. Most would hang up with somewhere between 2 - 5 rounds left in the tube. What I discovered was they all had some kind of preservative goo inside the tubes. It took some effort, but I've cleaned them out pretty thoroughly, and now they cycle completely.

Do I expect the PX4 to be reliable? Yes. Is my confidence shaken in the gun? No. Do I expect to clean every new PX4 mag I buy before I use it? You bet.

You don't specify who's mags you bought, and that's fine, but we often get comments from folks complaining about various mags and perhaps they don't understand either the mag they have or the gun they are using them in. For instance, Wilson includes instructions with their mags, which folks almost never read, and some guns, like Les Baer's have non-standard specs, that don't often get along with all mags - for instance the Baer front strap vs extended bumper pads on extended tube 8 rounders.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I ordered some magazines from a custom 1911 maker ( Wilson, Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk etc ) for one of their 1911's. When I attempted to use these magazines in one of their pistols, they jammed the gun and were almost impossible to chamber. I had never experienced this before. I sent the magazines back. I thought, what if I had used them in my 1911 edc without testing them. Bad move. Shook my faith in the 1911. Should it be shaken?
That’s why you try things out.

Just because it’s a fancy brand name, it doesn’t mean that it’s defect free.

I’ve returned six mags to Wilson: 2-9mm, 1-10mm, 1-.38SPR, 2-.45.

I’ve also returned 1-.38SPR back to Tripp Research.

So far none for Chip McCormick or Mec-Gar and I own a lot more CMC and Mec-Gar than Wilson and Tripp.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry to read of your expensive 1911, and, mag problems. If it is of any consequence,... from other publiclications,... it seems you are not alone!

Fortunately, I only bought a less than $700 Springfield Mil Spec 1911, and, a dozen $12, Metaform, seven round mags, that have worked from first shot, to last, with 230grn ball and lead, to, 200grn hollow points! So, I can't offer any advice on malfunctions.:unsure:

The best of luck, to you!
Mr Fancy font

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have 1911s from a variety of semi-custom and custom builders. As others have said, some mags don't work well in certain guns; It's just a matter of sorting out which goes with which. Tripp and Wilson seem to be "go-to" mags for whatever that's worth to you.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
I thought, what if I had used them in my 1911 edc without testing them.
Wow, really??? Would you actually carry an untested gun? I bet you won't anymore.

I recently bought some mags and haven't even mixed them into my range bag yet because they are untested. They will be segregated until they are proven. Even for range use.

If they fail, they are either scrapped, fixed or donated to someone with full disclosure.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts