1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is an interesting pistol... it has the earmarks of a fake FEG HP... BUT... this is the first I have seen with the thumb print take down cut out...

All in all very curious... raises the question of who may have actually made these guns... AFIK FEG did not make slides with the thumb print....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=501748072

Could there have been a second maker of fake FN-HPs? This one seems to be not so well done as the others I have seen. Rumors say Iraq made HPs for their use... could this be one of those the Izzys captured?

What to y'all think??

V/r

Chuck

·
Banned
54 Posts
CXM:
I saw this yesterday, but unlike you I didn't think about it much. Now after you bring it up, I see looking at photo #12 it really looks terrible in the area at the rear of the slide. I don't remember seeing any FEGs on the CDI site that looked quite this bad before. Thanks for bringing this up.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Interesting. Haven't heard about the Iraqi HP connection before. Do you think they would have gone to the extra effort to roll the slide with a fake FN scroll ( mis-spelling and all) for internal use? If they were using these for their own forces, who would they impress?
Hmmm.......

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
A Hi Power serial number containing a letter, a space, followed by 5 digits is a dead giveaway that it started out as an FEG.

As for the thumbprint, FN stopped producing those in 1960, so I have no explanation for that and the buggered patent depose scribblings on the slide. - But, if pressed for an answer, I'd opine that recreational pharmaceuticals were involved.

Who said there aren't any more $250 FEGs???

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose it could also be a Pakistani mountain gun...

It may well be something modified from a FEG fake... but given the spelling etc. it might not either... I don't think we can conclude conclusively it is FEG from the serial number alone... we just don't have enough data points to say that with certainty... Of course that does not preclude it being FEG either...

FWIW

CHuck

A Hi Power serial number containing a letter, a space, followed by 5 digits is a dead giveaway that it started out as an FEG.

As for the thumbprint, FN stopped producing those in 1960, so I have no explanation for that and the buggered patent depose scribblings on the slide. - But, if pressed for an answer, I'd opine that recreational pharmaceuticals were involved.

Who said there aren't any more $250 FEGs???

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I think we can conclude that it's an FEG by process of deduction.

We know that it's definitely not an FN. That leaves FEG.
It has an FEG formatted serial number - letter, space, and 5 digits. FN did not use this serial number format, nor did it make a C Series. FEG did.

The additional stampings below the factory roll marks are an obvious post production, hand stamped, add-on and not originally pertaining to the pistol. Same with the crude, home made, thumb print.

The fact that the person was trying to mimic the factory markings directly above the hand stampings is curious, pointless, and further goes to suggest that some moron with a hammer and an alphabet punch decided, for whatever reason, to amuse himself for about 10 minutes on an innocent and unoffending firearm.

When I was a kid in Japan, our bicycles had to be registered with the base Air Police detachment. As proof of registration, some AP would take a hammer and a set of alphabet punches and stamp an alphanumeric ID code onto the frame of the bright shiny new bicycle.
It might've been the same guy who did that FEG Hi Power. The quality of the work is identical.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This is an interesting pistol... it has the earmarks of a fake FEG HP... BUT... this is the first I have seen with the thumb print take down cut out...

All in all very curious... raises the question of who may have actually made these guns... AFIK FEG did not make slides with the thumb print....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=501748072

Could there have been a second maker of fake FN-HPs? This one seems to be not so well done as the others I have seen. Rumors say Iraq made HPs for their use... could this be one of those the Izzys captured?

What to y'all think??

V/r

Chuck
Chuck whoever made this FN-HP? You could be right about Fake Iraq 9mm.
Didn't Sodom carry a browning, like pistol in the pictures where he fired the gun in the air? Also they didn't spell to good!! :scratch:
Scott

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This is an interesting pistol...What to y'all think?? Chuck
Interesting? I think you've been into the cooking Sherry my Friend ;):D...

Cooking Sherry? Did I just date myself into the black and white movie era or what :eek:?

Seriously though, pretty plainly an FEG counterfeit FN slide...who knows what's under the Hogues :scratch: but the "pineapple proof" is of the size and slightly off shape found on the FEG counterfeits ;), that was then abused by a clown with an English alphabet punch set...and no grasp of the English or French language and/or a drug habit...and a barrel grinding wheel :eek::(:grumble:.

·
Banned
54 Posts
CDI Sales also has the sister to this gun; same color and same grips. I have to wonder if some Iraqi general watched an old General George S Patton film clip and wanted to have a pair of guns on his hips as well. Summoning fateful old Saloom, he gave him the guns, a punch set, an Iraqi--English dictionary, a new Dremel tool, and a tourist map of Paris. Spending the best part of several days working in the shadow of his camel and with painstaking care, Saloom was able to create an Iraqi work of art, and now you guys make fun of it and call him a clown.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Perhaps a Pakistani copy of a FEG made fake FN? :scratch:

FWIW

Chuck...

·
Premium Member
15,374 Posts
An FEG 'FN Fake' with other features crudely added by an imbecile, then Parkerized. The true story of how the FEG FN fakes came about may never be known, but a persistent rumor is that FN would no longer do business with Saddam during the Irag-Iran war, so he had these guns produced based on FEG P9s. Hungary was still behind the 'Iron Curtain' at that time and Saddam was allied with the USSR, so I think you can see how things got done. I guess some day these pistols will be more collectable than they are today, but even then, this example would still be a turkey. Here are some pics of an example that had not been tampered-with ('thumbnail' cut, hand-lettering, Parkerizing). The import mark is faint and illegible.

·
Registered
793 Posts
FEG with two letters in serial number

Anyone ever seen two letters a space then 5 numbers in a FEG PJK? I found one on GB.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Yes. I have an FEG that's a GG.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts