Votes: 23 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 21 9.7%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is a 1911 forum, I'm guessing the .45 will win, but curious, how many of you prefer the .45 over a 9mm or .40? Which is your favorite caliber and why?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Tough call, but my favorite is 9 mm, due to the accuracy and overall reliability of my 9's, the comfort of shooting a lot and the lower cost of ammo. But I like the .45, too and carry a .45 because I think it is a better self defense round and my short range accuracy is good enough.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
In a 1911, I prefer .45acp, but pretty much all other autos, make mine a 9mm.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I voted "other".For me the .38 special is my favorite.I most commonly shoot and carry .38special in the M-66,M-15 or Taurus TT85 and 9mm in a High Power.:cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My first choice is 45acp. I 0wn a 38super, but it is no 45acp, have no need for a 9mm. Have a 38sp, give me a 45, I want a 45.:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Like Allie, I really like .38 Special (and .357 Magnum). These cartridges are both easy to load and extremely versatile. Unfortunately, they don't work well in autos. Now if the question was which automatic pistol cartridge I like best, the answer would be .45 ACP.

·
Registered
937 Posts
45acp is my all around favorite. I don't really know why though.

I am attracted to 9mm too though because the ammo is cheap, and there seems to be a wider variation in offerings in that caliber. Though since the 94 ban, that particular gap between 9mm and 45 has closed significantly.

Brian

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well so far in autos, all I use is the 9mm for the cheap ammo and gentle recoil but I'm curious as Hell about the .40 and .45 -- too nervous about firing a gun in that caliber though -- Glock or Beretta. I do use a .38 in my .357 Magnum and love it....

·
Registered
784 Posts
I shoulda' checked "other" because I forgot to consider .22. OTHERWISE, it's gotta be .45. I thought it was fun in a 1911.....then I got a S&W 625 and Hoooooooooooo DOGGIE that's fun!!!!!!!

Rich

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love the .45 acp, but the .40 S&W takes a close second for me. To me both rounds are powerful, the .45 seems to be alittle more accurate. Although the platform most .45's are shot from (1911) could be a lot of the reason for this. Pistols for both calibers are available in a wide variety of models, but at this point the edge will go to .45 in this catagory as well. As far as availabilty of ammo and a wide assortment of ammo, .45 hands down. The .40 is still too new and I doubt it will ever catch on like the .45 acp. But .40 to me is far better than 9mm. Yes I do own a 9mm and shoot it quite often, but not nearly as much as my Kimber Custom or Beretta 96.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts