1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone...

Just want to know what everyone's favorite carry ammo is in the following calibers and if you have any actual expiences with the round.

45ACP
10mm
40 S&W
38 Super
9x23 (not really any choice, but wanted to know if anyone has any actual experience with the round)
9mm

I am most interest in .45, 38 super, 9x23 and 40. Haven't got around to building or buying a 10mm yet. Thanks for all the opinions.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by eerw:
Hey everyone...

Just want to know what everyone's favorite carry ammo is in the following calibers and if you have any actual expiences with the round.
45ACP - Ranger 230+P (talon), Triton 230+P Hi-Vel, Fed H-S, (have used all but Triton on deer, seen H-S used on Boar and have used Horn XTP - which is what Triton uses - on Deer.) Good stuff if you put the bullet where it belongs.

10mm - Win 175 Silver-tip (have not used on game, have used a 210 SWC and Win. 180 jhp - win did not expand in ground hogs)

40 S&W - Triton 155 Hi-Vel, Rem 165 G-S

38 Super - ? (have used 125 Win S.T.on deer - mixed reviews) Shot 1 deer 3 times. 1 expanded well (went about 8"), one apparently closed up since it went through with small exit, and one blew up, penetrating about 5" max.)

9x23 (not really any choice, but wanted to know if anyone has any actual experience with the round) - have used Win-USA 125 JSP on deer (expanded a bit and went 9.5-10" deep). 124 Speer [email protected] on 75 lb. pig (mangled bullet but held together, 9.5" pen. - pig took a while go shut down). The Win 9X23 S.T. seems to blow up in wet newsprint (both the above loads gave exactly the same penetration in news print as in animals) - still probably a good bullet for most applications.

9mm - you're kidding
Seriously, 135 Triton +P and Federal P.D. 135 but have only used on small game. Shot a small deer with Fed 147 "Classic" JHP - expanded to .64 and went through (recoverd from ground) - not bad. Shot some groundhogs with Federal H-S +P 124gr. - expansion OK penetartion about 8-9" if you get a lengthwise shot. They go through most of the time on a braodside shot.

Your Mileage May Vary,

Jim Higgibotham

·
Registered
219 Posts
9mm Fed Hydrashock...'cause I got a bunch cheap

10mm Win 175gr ST on some game, Lwt CorBon for defense carry. Pigs have died to both of these.

357 Anything in 125gr HP works great, on almost anything
Probably light, but have killed deer with it, an amazing load imho.

9x23 Win 124sp, and ST, both tremendous shooting rounds. Extremely flat. Killed a feral dog with the SP at around 40 yards in a quartering shot.

.45 230gr Hydrashock.

.44maggie 300gr Hornady XTP...if deer know you are using it they just come over and die at your feet

.45LC 250gr Hornady XTP+P...same story.

.223 Nosler BT;

.308 Federal GMM 175gr

6.5x284 142gr SMK, or 140gr GK, perhaps the most amazingly accurate / varmint killing recoil powder puff I have ever encountered.

45-70 540gr Garrett, incredible.

That is pretty much running the table for me

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
.45- what else but Federal 230gr HydraShok

9mm- Right now Triton 125gr HiVel HP

.357mag- Right now, 110gr Remington SJHP

·
Registered
153 Posts
Carry ammo....

.45 Federal Hydro-Shoks. Period.

After that....we are into shoulder fired cartridges

JimH,
I've shot a few pigs and finished off a few deer with .45's. My experience mirrors yours.

In 10mm, the 175 silver tip does fine on deer for chest shots, but didn't penetrate nearly as well as I would have liked, but did fine for chest shots. I liked the Hornaday 200gr XTP much better. I got good expansion and GREAT penetration. Excellent accuracy also. I killed several hogs with that load.

I sold off my 10mm years ago[that bank account thing ], but I have a new 10mm custom in the works now. This gun is in a 5" format, but I am building it mainly for hunting. I found the 10mm to be much better all around for hunting and field use than my .45's. With the right loads, its a flat, easy to carry and easy to shoot autoloading .41 mag. Or at least, close enough for me

------------------
Will Fennell
www.camillusknives.com

·
Registered
289 Posts
45ACP -- 200 grain Pro-Load +P
10mm -- 180 grain Pro-Load
40 S&W -- 135 grain Federal PDHS in the G27 and Pro-Load 165 grain in the G23 and G22.
38 Super -- Don't own one
9x23 (not really any choice, but wanted to know if anyone has any actual experience with the round) -- Don't own one
9mm -- Wouldn't own one, if I did, Pro-Load 124 grain +P or Rem GS 124 grain +P.

Why, because from my testing and research these are the most consistent rounds as far as accuracy, penetration, reliability. They all have low flash, are not over-pressure, and they perform well in the 3 medias I use for testing; denim covered ballistic gelatin, glycerin/newsprint slurry, waste elk and deer bones, tissue, and skins.

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO http://www.angelfire.com/co3/markcolo/

G

·
Anymore I only usen 230 Hydra-Shoks and Golden Sabers. I have never had a FTF with these two rounds in any of my pistols.

I cannot say the same thing about Gold Dots or Black Talon / Rangers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Federal Hydro-Shoks, S&B, Speer Lawman, and PMC (all 230 grain)....also that one box of Winchester Winclean, really clean stuff.

·
Registered
476 Posts
MarkCO didn't mention it, but his website has some excellent test reports on .40 and .45 ammo.

------------------
Alfadog
NRA Life Member

"DO NOT TAKE COUNSEL OF YOUR FEARS."
--G. S. Patton, Jr., Lt. Gen., USA, 6 March 1944

·
Registered
164 Posts
45ACP - 230 gr. hollow points, nothing less! hydrashocks and golden sabers (a bit more penatration in my experence)

9MM - Cor-Bon 125 HP

those are the only 2 one your list I have any "experence" with.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You're welcome Mark. I'm looking forward to reading your new reports.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here's what I carry:

.45acp-- 230gr Hydras or 230gr Gold Dot ProLoad
10mm--155gr Georgia Arms, 155/180 ProLoad or 175 STHP
.40S&W--155 STHP, 155 Federal Hi-Shok
.38 S--I was toting CorBon 115gr
9x23--125 STHP
9mm--Federal 115 Hi-Shok.

I carry the 10mm more then any other pistol caliber and I have not had any accuracy complaints with any major company's loads. Well that's not completely true, the CorBon and Triton 135s were a little on the inaccurate side, but I was also getting 45fps+ variances.

Derek

·
Registered
38 Posts
In .45ACP: 230 grain Federal HydraShoks in 1911; 185 grain Hydras in Glock 30.

In .40S&W: Remington 165 grain GS or Federal 155 grain HydraShoks.

In 9mm: Federal 115 grain +p+.

Selections based on research of available public data and personal tests.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
10mm: Winchester Silvertip 175gr.
.45 ACP: Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr.
.40S&W: Remington Golden Saber 165gr.
.357 Sig: Speer Gold Dot 125gr
9mm: Federal Hydra-Shok 124gr +P

Question for MarkCO: how the HECK did you get low flash from Pro Load 180gr?!? Not trying to be a wise guy or anything, but I just shot some a couple of days ago and it made a big orange fireball from my Glock 20C w/6" barrel... it seemed a good bit more than the Silvertips. If Pro Load has reduced the flash of their 10mm loads since I bought my last batch I'd be VERY interested since they make such a good product.

C.B.

p.s. I'm really looking forward to seeing your 10mm ammo test, too... your .40S&W test was really top notch.

[This message has been edited by CastleBravo (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lately, I've been tending to load everything with XTP's. I guess I'm paranoid about under-penetration and less concerned with expansion than getting to the goodies.

·
Registered
289 Posts
CB. Maybe the "C" has more effect than you think? From the G29 and a 5" 1911 shooting about 45 minutes after sunset, the flash was low as compared to other brands of 10mm ammo. The flash is orange, but was not enough to "blot" out the brown paper targets about 10 yards away. The Win ST was similar. Also, realize I take flash from the shooters perception, and more than just one shooter as well. In some cases, the actual flash or size of the fireball may be less for one load but preceived as more becasue of the gun blocking vision or other factors.

------------------
Good Shooting, MarkCO http://www.angelfire.com/co3/markcolo/

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
MarkCO,

Actually I fired them both from the 6" factory hunting barrel, not the stock ported barrel (see above). I'll do some side-by-side testing this weekend but I'm pretty positive that the Pro Load made a noticeably bigger fireball than the ST did from the same barrel. I fired both in the same indoor range, too, with the same lighting conditions.

C.B.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts