1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Colonel. Love him or hate him, he does have some interesting things to say. I personally get a lot out of his writings and colum in G&A.

What are your favorite Cooperisms?

This one caught my attention recently:

"......fear of sporting failure is usually greater than the fear of death. This startling point is easy to prove. The average competitive pistol shot works and trains far harder to earn a little brass cup than the average policeman works and trains to acquire a skill that can save his life."
Principles of Personal Defense

Boy this one is right. I never see cops at the shooting range practicing, just the same fanatics such as myself nearly four or five times a week.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
While I understand the Col's. thought, it seems obvious that "fear" isn't the real issue.
The pistol competitor hates to be embarrased by failure.
The non-adept cop simply doesn't have any particular enthusiasm for guns, and exercises denial regarding his chances of needing firearms proficiency.

A couple of my favorite "Cooperisms":

"One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that 'violence begets violence'. I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure-and in some cases I have-that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy."

"The issue of unsighted fire in defensive combat keeps cropping up. Its advocates suggest that since people are going to use it anyway, we might as well encourage it. I think this is wrong. What people are "going to do anyway" is hardly a proper reason for teaching it. It may be that most people will fire without sights when confronting lethal hostility, but that is a reason for the atrocious missing that we read about in the newspapers. Here at school we do not care about how things are done wrong. We do care about how to teach people to do things right. The modern technique gets the hits. If only a few people understand the modern technique that is regrettable, but that should not lead us astray. In the large view it is always only a few people who do anything right. We can increase that number, and that is why we teach marksmanship."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.