1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy all. What's your favorite dressy/classy gunbelt? Looking for a belt to go with my incoming Horseshoe Gunleather holster.
Not really into the exotic materials. Maybe a nice tapered belt?
TIA, Ray
ETA: Just noticed that the maker recommends a single layer belt for his holsters, so I reckon I'm on the hunt.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1.5" Andrews Custom Leather, lined leather, with a fresh polish on the brass buckle. At 6" and 225lbs, a 1.5" belt doesn't look out of place in dress slacks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Howdy all. What's your favorite dressy/classy gunbelt? Looking for a belt to go with my incoming Horseshoe Gunleather holster.
Not really into the exotic materials. Maybe a nice tapered belt?
TIA, Ray
ETA: Just noticed that the maker recommends a single layer belt for his holsters, so I reckon I'm on the hunt.
RAnger Style belts in various widths and colors weaves ect.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lot's of great suggestions folks, thanks.
Looking for a nice single-layer gunbelt this go-round.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The two best looking belts I ever had were Rafter S in black shark and Alessi mahogany. I had to sell them recently because they became too small :(. Alessi, although a double, wasn't thick at all. Simply stunning. I used to wear it with my business attire as long as I had it, as well as with my jeans.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
What size belt loops does your holster have? You certainly want to match your belt to that. I really don't understand the need for a "fancy belt" because virtually none of it shows. But there is one holstermaker I'd recommend for his leathercraft...Tucker.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Lot's of great suggestions folks, thanks.
Looking for a nice single-layer gunbelt this go-round.
My vote is for the Milt Sparks 1.5" tapered to 1.25". It is not as thick as other gun belts and just works. I have several of the MS belts and wear one of them every day.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I have a black and two brown 1.25 shark belts from RafterS. They look nice, fit all my slacks, and are thick enough so that I can carry a full size handgun, although I almost never do carry a full size gun.
Sorry to see RafterS go bad, as they were the best gun belts I ever bought.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What size belt loops does your holster have? You certainly want to match your belt to that. I really don't understand the need for a "fancy belt" because virtually none of it shows. But there is one holstermaker I'd recommend for his leathercraft...Tucker.
Howdy, AZ. Reasons for the new belt:
I've outgrown my Beltman belt.
Andy Arratoonian recommends a single layer belt for use with his holsters.
I may choose to open carry my Horseshoe pancake from time to time. A nice looking belt/buckle couldn't hurt. Not talking exotic skins or rhinestones. :)
I checked the Tucker website. He does show a "Thinner" option for his dual layered gunbelt. Will check into that. He does awesome work.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
First, what to you consider "dressy/classy"? Are you looking for something to go with a suit/slacks and dress shirt, khakis and a polo, or "Texas dressy"- nice jeans and a button down?

If you're looking at either of the first 2, a 1.25" belt in black or mahogany with a simple brass buckle. As silly as it seems, going up to a 1.5" just looks off with nice menswear...

With khakis, you can get away with a 1.5".

As AZ Husker mentioned, ensure that your holster and accessories is sized appropriately for the belt. A holster with 1.5" attachments won't be very stable on a 1.25" belt.

I have several Beltman products, in both 1.25 and 1.5" variants. I have loops in both sizes for my VMIIs, and swap them as needed.

I do find it odd that a holster maker is recommending single layer gunbelts as the industry standard seems to be double layer....

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
A second vote for black shark - tough, dressy and good looking.
Let's make that a third vote for the reasons given above.

I even like black elephant better.

Rick

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, what to you consider "dressy/classy"? Are you looking for something to go with a suit/slacks and dress shirt, khakis and a polo, or "Texas dressy"- nice jeans and a button down?

If you're looking at either of the first 2, a 1.25" belt in black or mahogany with a simple brass buckle. As silly as it seems, going up to a 1.5" just looks off with nice menswear...

With khakis, you can get away with a 1.5".

As AZ Husker mentioned, ensure that your holster and accessories is sized appropriately for the belt. A holster with 1.5" attachments won't be very stable on a 1.25" belt.

I have several Beltman products, in both 1.25 and 1.5" variants. I have loops in both sizes for my VMIIs, and swap them as needed.

I do find it odd that a holster maker is recommending single layer gunbelts as the industry standard seems to be double layer....
More of a "Texas Dressy", as you put it. Probably not tapered. Looking to match it up with a (Not "Flashy") Colt buckle.
Been going with 1-1/2" slots/loops since I started buying from Bruce Nelson, ages ago. GTG there.
I too was somewhat surprised when I noticed the "Thin belt" recommendation on the Horseshoe website. But it is what it is and I'm exploring my options.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
More of a "Texas Dressy", as you put it. Probably not tapered. Looking to match it up with a (Not "Flashy") Colt buckle.
Been going with 1-1/2" slots/loops since I started buying from Bruce Nelson, ages ago. GTG there.
I too was somewhat surprised when I noticed the "Thin belt" recommendation on the Horseshoe website. But it is what it is and I'm exploring my options.
So a 1.5" belt will serve well; its really a matter of personal taste. I haven't really heard of a bad purpose made gunbelt...

I would call the holster maker, and find out specifically why he recommends single thickness. That just seems to go against the norm.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Two thin layers of leather are much better than one thicker layer. Picture how plywood works so well. It's not the thickness, it's the strength provided by different layers. That is why the vast majority of good leatherworkers recommend a double layer belt for carry. I know many people who have gone to an Amish shop or saddle maker for a thick single layer belt, only to have it turn to mush and curl under the weight of a large gun. Spend the extra money for a GOOD double layer belt, make sure it fits the slots in your holster, and you will have a carry system that will last for years.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Since you said no exotics- I'd call Al at A&G Gunleather. His stuff is very sturdy, classy looking and you'll get it sooner and for less money than lots of others. I have several of his belts (cow and horse) and one in particular gets worn 4-5 days a week and still looks almost new after 2 years.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts