1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Registered
7,424 Posts
Those are the ‘Heavy Weights’ in .45 ACP—you go heavier and there is just not much data!
Hornady or maybe it was Speer :unsure: used to list data for their 265gr JHP .45 Colt bullet for use in .45 ACP. Velocities were rather low. On par with the British .455 Eley.

· Registered
7,424 Posts
Obviously, one of you enthusiasts needs to try some depleted-uranium. Prolly get 3-400gr, that way.
Or modern wheelweights. My late bullet caster told me some lead-free wheelweights contained powdered tungsten, which made them heavy, but also ruined barrels.

· Registered
1,735 Posts
Obviously, one of you enthusiasts needs to try some depleted-uranium. Prolly get 3-400gr, that way.
<looking around for link to "rolling eyes">

Unless you are just DEAD SET on using projectiles weighing over 230 gr. in your .45, there may be a more satisfactory alternative. It weighs in at 215 gr., but has superb geometry for the purposes you have in mind. It is the SAECO #58 215 gr. LSWC.

Household hardware Cylinder Plumbing fitting Nickel Auto part

While its appearance may qualify as "funny-looking", I can attest to its performance, accuracy, and capacity to penetrate. By virtue of its broad (.356") meplat, it creates a wide wound channel, and punches impressively deeply, often traversing the target of interest.
While I believe it was originally meant as a longer-distance (50 yds?) bullet for PPC and bullseye competition, I believe it is a most under-utilized projectile for general-purpose use in .45 ACP. I am still trying to find a use for which it is NOT suited, though none has yet presented itself.
In terms of reloading data, I started with loads for 230 gr. LRN and JHP, which gave FAIRLY good performance. It is certainly capable of 950 f/s muzzle velocities. When I moved toward using powder charges that were intended to push 200 gr. LSWCs very fast (by .45 ACP standards), that's when the bullet's efficacy truly came to light.
Very good ones with polymer coatings (which helps w/velocity) can be bought from Missouri Bullets, whose other products I also heartily endorse.

· Registered
30,694 Posts
I load these Bubbas for .45 Super auto. Just about right for that round IMO.
Brown Publication Wood Book Wood stain

Reactions: Michael W Cuber

· Premium Member
1,813 Posts
<looking around for link to "rolling eyes">

Unless you are just DEAD SET on using projectiles weighing over 230 gr. in your .45, there may be a more satisfactory alternative. It weighs in at 215 gr., but has superb geometry for the purposes you have in mind. It is the SAECO #58 215 gr. LSWC.

View attachment 673804

While its appearance may qualify as "funny-looking", I can attest to its performance, accuracy, and capacity to penetrate. By virtue of its broad (.356") meplat, it creates a wide wound channel, and punches impressively deeply, often traversing the target of interest.
While I believe it was originally meant as a longer-distance (50 yds?) bullet for PPC and bullseye competition, I believe it is a most under-utilized projectile for general-purpose use in .45 ACP. I am still trying to find a use for which it is NOT suited, though none has yet presented itself.
In terms of reloading data, I started with loads for 230 gr. LRN and JHP, which gave FAIRLY good performance. It is certainly capable of 950 f/s muzzle velocities. When I moved toward using powder charges that were intended to push 200 gr. LSWCs very fast (by .45 ACP standards), that's when the bullet's efficacy truly came to light.
Very good ones with polymer coatings (which helps w/velocity) can be bought from Missouri Bullets, whose other products I also heartily endorse.
Think a bullet profile like that will do just about all you can ask of a .45 ACP!

· Registered
SPP forever!
4,688 Posts

· Registered
30,694 Posts
What are you loading them with?
I am thinking off of the top of my head that it is Blue dot. But I will have to check as I have not loaded any of them in a while. I have not really been all that impressed with .45 Super auto in general.

· Registered
2,430 Posts
I have the same book #10 & bought it new. I still have my Budweiser beach towel from the 60's Looks like 5.9 of 231 and a 260 would kick a lot. View attachment 668033
You guys are old. I have one of those manuals. Here is a picture with one of the aluminum cases that I loaded with round balls for shooting in my acp revolvers. Mine has that OD green duct tape holding it together also.

The number 10 was first published in 1979 and each year thru 1985, it would show all of the previous publishing dates. Mine shows all those from 1979-1985 when I bought it. I also have the number 9. It was published in 1974, the first manual I ever bought. The receipt says, $7.85.

There are differences but not much. For example the old one had lots more recipes, the new one, was supposed to only list the 10 best or so. And, another example. The old one listed round ball loads/gallery loads for rounds like the 44 special, 44 mag, 45 Rimmed and 45 Colt. It also listed a reduced pistol powder load for the 45-70. to match trap door loads. 17 grains behind a 405 grain bullet. Not very powerful just enough to kill a bison and anything else under one ton.

I enjoy the older manuals and older military powders like 3031 and 4350 which a key powders in those manuals. Even today they are tops for my hot rounds, like 257 and 300 Weatherby.
Gas Tints and shades Magenta Electric blue Font

Now back to OPS question. My buddy, RIP, used a 300 grain cast, normally used in the 45 Colt for his hog loads in 45 acp. They take up most of the space in the case. He claimed 600-650 fps but I never confirmed it.

I have killed deer with handguns but have no interest in the 45 acp. That said, Tim Sundles at Buffalo Bore claims his standard pressure 255 grain hard cast will shoot thru any deer. Here are some of the reviews of those bullets.
45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN (buffalobore.com)

Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

I have no personal experience in killing game with the 45 acp. lot of other just not the 45. But if I were, I would go with the Buffalo Bore or a reload that hot.

· Premium Member
1,813 Posts
You guys are old. I have one of those manuals. Here is a picture with one of the aluminum cases that I loaded with round balls for shooting in my acp revolvers. Mine has that OD green duct tape holding it together also.

The number 10 was first published in 1979 and each year thru 1985, it would show all of the previous publishing dates. Mine shows all those from 1979-1985 when I bought it. I also have the number 9. It was published in 1974, the first manual I ever bought. The receipt says, $7.85.

There are differences but not much. For example the old one had lots more recipes, the new one, was supposed to only list the 10 best or so. And, another example. The old one listed round ball loads/gallery loads for rounds like the 44 special, 44 mag, 45 Rimmed and 45 Colt. It also listed a reduced pistol powder load for the 45-70. to match trap door loads. 17 grains behind a 405 grain bullet. Not very powerful just enough to kill a bison and anything else under one ton.

I enjoy the older manuals and older military powders like 3031 and 4350 which a key powders in those manuals. Even today they are tops for my hot rounds, like 257 and 300 Weatherby.
View attachment 673833
Now back to OPS question. My buddy, RIP, used a 300 grain cast, normally used in the 45 Colt for his hog loads in 45 acp. They take up most of the space in the case. He claimed 600-650 fps but I never confirmed it.

I have killed deer with handguns but have no interest in the 45 acp. That said, Tim Sundles at Buffalo Bore claims his standard pressure 255 grain hard cast will shoot thru any deer. Here are some of the reviews of those bullets.
45 ACP +P OUTDOORSMAN (buffalobore.com)

View attachment 673834
I have no personal experience in killing game with the 45 acp. lot of other just not the 45. But if I were, I would go with the Buffalo Bore or a reload that hot.
I’ve used .45 Colt Cowboy loads at about 800fps (just happened to be what was in my Ruger Blackhawk when opportunity presented itself), so I imagine .45 ACP would probably do about the same on deer.

· Registered
2,430 Posts
I’ve used .45 Colt Cowboy loads at about 800fps (just happened to be what was in my Ruger Blackhawk when opportunity presented itself), so I imagine .45 ACP would probably do about the same on deer.
How big was the deer and how far? I killed a 6 point once like you just had the shot and the rifle was not handy, 70 yards or so with the 44 mag, that said, I was shooting 900 or more pounds. A 45 acp with a 230 grain bullet at 950 fps is only 461 fpe. At 50 yards it is only 415. My 3 inch 357 J frame gets 505 foot pounds at the muzzle.

Of course the OP can kill one with anything. Here is a guy that killed a decent deer with his Glock. He only had to shoot it 5 or 6 times to make sure it was not going to run off. Big Buck Killed With Glock 19! 9mm Deer hunting | Big Buck Killed With Glock 19! 9mm Deer hunting | By Hunting Videos | Facebook I read he was shooting Plus P, so he would have about the same power as your 45.

I have only shot the one wounded deer with a 45 acp and only got penetration thru the hips, did not phase him. My buddies have hunted hogs with the 45 acp and had very bad luck. One took an entire magazine of body hits and still ran off. He only weighed about 150 pounds and finally died. They no longer hunted with the ACP and went to a 44 mag and 45 Colt Ruger.

· Premium Member
1,813 Posts
We had short range weapons hunts in Idaho in the river bottoms, and mostly 80 to 100 lb does, so not big.
The .45 Colt with Cowboy loads seemed to knock the animals I shot down, I recall one that tried to get up after being knocked down—dumped it with my second shot at less than 30 yards. I’d hunted some with a .357 prior to getting a .44 Special Colt New Frontier, and later a couple .45 Colts and my results on coyotes and badgers were not the same as the 44 plus calibers!
YMMV

21 - 40 of 44 Posts