1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all probably load several different styles of bullets, from FMJs, Cast, Plated, and JHPs. I admit I heavily use cast, but not exclusively. In my experiences, FMJs leave the pistol easier to clean, Cast are the least expensive, and JHP make me feel safer for SD. However, I have to admit I haven't done a whole lot of testing on hollow points to prove they do what they are advertised to do. That may be something I will have to work on. :rolleyes:

There are several quality hollow point bullets on the market today, if they are in stock. :mad:

What I would like to know, when you buy hollow points to load with, what brand do you prefer? If any of you have performed some home testing, what brands have to tested? How well did they expand? At what velocities were they tested?

To start things off, I have some Precision Delta HPs, Hornady XTPs, Speer GDs, and a few cast HPs from Matts Bullets (real nasty looking jewels for my .44 Alaskan). I have a box of Hornady Critical Defense rounds for my .380 and like the idea they have an insert in the cavity, reportedly to start expansion, but I'm unsure if they are available as a component.

What are you favorite JHPs, available as components?

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
2,991 Posts
I am invested in 124g XTPs and 200g XTPs for my own loaded ammo PD loads and 200 to 230g V Crowns factory loaded for my 45s

I load a lot of HAPs, 124 and 125g as well as Precision Delta 124g JHPs. I also load Sierra 124g JHPs all in 9mm and 38 Super.

I have not tested any of these for expansion in some sort of medium. I do have the chart showing expansion testing by Lucky Gunner saved and they have done a good job of testing PD loaded ammunition. I go by their results a bit.

When I got back into 1911s I bought a bunch of Sig V Crown loaded ammunition at Cabelas for good prices, I still have 10 or 11 boxes of these Factory loaded V Crowns for my 45acps. I keep loaded the 230g for personal protection in my pistols.

I too shoot a lot of 200g cast in my 45s and don't feel undergunned with a mag load of them. 18 Brn hardness and accurate with 5.8g W231.

I would like to test Hornady HAPs in a medium to check out their expansion characteristics if any. Out of curiosity

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My bride uses milk in her coffee, and we drink a lot of coffee, so we've always got quite a few 1-gallon milk jugs available. I tested some of my 240gr Hornady XTPs and Matts 275gr Gas Checked HPs in jugs of water and they both expanded, the cast was very impressive (.80"), the XTP not so much (.490"). The biggest PIA is hauling two dozen jugs full of water to the range. :(

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tip for those who may want to try gallon jugs, a square hit on the first jug is easy, the second jug is pretty much identical. However, after entering the third jug the bullets tend to start veering off. Probably more so with pistol rounds than rifle rounds, but it has my experience rifle rounds also start to veer off, maybe in the fourth or fifth jug, but they do veer off. My testing with the .44 mag loads (XTPs and Matts) I recovered the XTP in the third jug, and the Matts bullet in the 5th jug.

Grumpy

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have always carried premium .45 ACP Defense / Law Enforcement factory loads. The supply of those dried up, all that was available in three states was Hardball. I was able to buy some of Berry's 230 grain Hybrid Hollowpoints. They got good reviews and were accurate when tested. Only thing I have shot was a Rattlesnake, physical outcome seemed about the same as the pricier loads. I will go back to Golden Saber or similar for carry when I can get my hands on some. The Berry's are affordable, clean to reload, and I'll buy some more when I run out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I prefer Gold-Dots in 9mm when I can find them, but after the beginning of the mad buyout rush they became scarce as Hen's teeth. So, a while back I found Sig V-Crown at a local shop and stocked up on them after testing a box through my carry guns. I still prefer XTPs in all my pocket 380s and have enough of them to last a lifetime, hopefully.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts