1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Frankly, I don't remember ever loading JHPs in .45 ACP. :unsure:

As for other calibers, I used to like Remington SJHPs with the scalloped jackets. They were cheap in bulk from Midway and not too shabby in the accuracy dept either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
For the past year or so the only thing I could find consistantly was XTP's so thats the recent loads. Speer Gold dots when I find them. Been buying up anything I find for a future comparison and reliability check. I'll load a bunch of different bullets and have a day of testing with my favorite opponent at the backyard range.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Frankly, I don't remember ever loading JHPs in .45 ACP. :unsure:

As for other calibers, I used to like Remington SJHPs with the scalloped jackets. They were cheap in bulk from Midway and not too shabby in the accuracy dept either.
I tried to pull one of the old semi-jacketed HPs using my impact hammer, pulled the lead core just fine, jacket stayed in the case. :oops:

Grumpy

·
Registered
128 Posts
For 9mm: XTP 124 gr and HAP 125 gr. The HAP diameter is 0.356" which is the groove diameter of both my 9mm and 38 Super barrels. The XTP is 0.355" diameter.

In 45 ACP, XTP and HAp 230gr.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Those were designed to be pushed out of the case, not pulled! 🤪
I always thought those bullets were called "rose petals" but I was probably wrong. :rolleyes: But you are very correct, they went down range very nicely. I can remember loading a boat load of those in 125gr for my .357 magnums.

Grumpy

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
For component bullets/ reloading purposes I have found Nosler and Hornady XTP to be readily available and now days that is the first step. About 10 years ago Midway ran a special on Golden Sabers. I picked up 1000 185 gr .45 and 1000 180 .40 caliber bullets. I also picked up 1000 Starline cases for both. They are stashed away for a time when our betters make getting factory ammo nearly impossible to buy. Kind of like NOW

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Still sucks there’s only a handful of HP’s as a component. It’s no wonder the HST is not available.
Kinda like in Toms post #25, XTP for accuracy and Gold Dot if you want to blow it up!
It is the same with the Hornady bullets they use in their Critical Defense (with the little red insert that starts expansion). Only available in "Factory Loaded Ammo". :mad:

Grumpy

Reactions: Kuzz

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,027 Posts
XTP or Gold Dots for serious use on a 4 legged critter.

XTP, Precision Delta or Zero for accuracy.
I have found the XTPs to be very accurate in my pistols, I have 900 200g XTPs and 500 124g XTPs on the shelf now and a few hundred loaded and am using the 124g Precision Deltas for my 9mm and 38 Super range loads. I have not tried any of the Zero offerings yet but am happy with my choices.

I went with the 200g XTPs as they usually need a bit of extra speed to open reliably. I have 400 left of Sierra 124g JHPs that have a large shallow cavity compared to XTPs "SportsMasters" but I haven't gotten the accuracy I expected in 9x19 so far.

·
Registered
Randall Raider
45 Posts
With 45 and the tests I've seen, the HST/Gold Dot/Winchester Ranger T seem to do the best consistently. I think lucky gunner got nearly an inch expansion with the Winchester round. I used to like the Remington 185 +P Golden saber, but they discontinued it. Now it's harder to find some of them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We all probably load several different styles of bullets, from FMJs, Cast, Plated, and JHPs. I admit I heavily use cast, but not exclusively. In my experiences, FMJs leave the pistol easier to clean, Cast are the least expensive, and JHP make me feel safer for SD. However, I have to admit I haven't done a whole lot of testing on hollow points to prove they do what they are advertised to do. That may be something I will have to work on. :rolleyes:

There are several quality hollow point bullets on the market today, if they are in stock. :mad:

What I would like to know, when you buy hollow points to load with, what brand do you prefer? If any of you have performed some home testing, what brands have to tested? How well did they expand? At what velocities were they tested?

To start things off, I have some Precision Delta HPs, Hornady XTPs, Speer GDs, and a few cast HPs from Matts Bullets (real nasty looking jewels for my .44 Alaskan). I have a box of Hornady Critical Defense rounds for my .380 and like the idea they have an insert in the cavity, reportedly to start expansion, but I'm unsure if they are available as a component.

What are you favorite JHPs, available as components?

Grumpy
I shoot 230gr FMJ from practice and 230gr JHP for home defense, when I'm outside cutting the grass I'll wear jeans with deep pockets and have either my Springfield XDE 45acp or Colt Defender Lightweight they fit just right in the pocket and easy to get out if I need too

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm a hard core HST guy in 9mm and 45 ACP... 124 HST in 9mm -- standard pressure, not +P typically (just don't think +P is necessary, but I'm no expert) in my LW WC Commander. No feeding issues... That said -- I don't think there is a lick of difference between HSTs and GDs -- both are EXCELLENT as are others like Golden Saber, XTPs, etc.

I do stoke my J-Frame with 135 gr GD +P short barrel load... Good accuracy and shoots to point of aim in my revolver and relatively controllable...

21 - 40 of 96 Posts