1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speer Gold Dots and Federal HST & HydraShock then Sig, Winchester all in that order. My 26 likes the Gold Dots 147 the best, my 19, 229, and EMP all run better with 124 grain Gold Dot or Federal. Went thru alot of ammo to find this out. Funny how the shorter 26 is better with the larger grain bullet. I might add all standard pressure loads too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Boy that's a hard one! I like a lot of them (most are mentioned above) but I guess my "favorite" (for the moment) is the GT bullets 260 gr Hollow Point .45 - it is cast of soft lead, expands to about 1" in either gel or wet newsprint and drives fairly deep - I load it in .45 Auto Rim, .45 Colt, .45 ACP and .45 Super... to slightly different velocities (but never over 1100).

That doesn't mean the XTPs, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers or Winchester JHPs etc have any fleas on them ;)

Come to think of it neither does a nice Wide Flat nose or Keith bullet that does not expand :)

Riposte

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We all probably load several different styles of bullets, from FMJs, Cast, Plated, and JHPs. I admit I heavily use cast, but not exclusively. In my experiences, FMJs leave the pistol easier to clean, Cast are the least expensive, and JHP make me feel safer for SD. However, I have to admit I haven't done a whole lot of testing on hollow points to prove they do what they are advertised to do. That may be something I will have to work on. :rolleyes:

There are several quality hollow point bullets on the market today, if they are in stock. :mad:

What I would like to know, when you buy hollow points to load with, what brand do you prefer? If any of you have performed some home testing, what brands have to tested? How well did they expand? At what velocities were they tested?

To start things off, I have some Precision Delta HPs, Hornady XTPs, Speer GDs, and a few cast HPs from Matts Bullets (real nasty looking jewels for my .44 Alaskan). I have a box of Hornady Critical Defense rounds for my .380 and like the idea they have an insert in the cavity, reportedly to start expansion, but I'm unsure if they are available as a component.

What are you favorite JHPs, available as components?

Grumpy
I have Zero, Hornady, Nosler and Precision Delta’s.
I use whichever is most accurate in a particular pistol.
All of my pistols are most accurate with jhps

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
3,024 Posts
I shoot a lot of lead in my 44s and 45s, I just ordered 1500 more 200g cast SWCs from Summers Enterprises. These bullets are as accurate as I can be and at 18 Brn they are a tough bullet that will hit hard and drive deep at 1000 to 1050 fps. I do not feel undergunned with a mag full of them in one of my 1911s just like I don't feel undergunned with my 44 revolvers stoked with 240g to 255g Keith style bullets and a charge of Unique. I have a few hundred .356 148g cast TCs to work up loads in 38 Super and 9x19. These have a good sized meplate and should also hit very hard and drive deep.

That said I do prefer a good JHP for my PD loads and they work very well for competition and drills also

·
Registered
227 Posts
Gold Dots are my favorite but I pretty much carry and practice with HST. I like others, went the pull down route. Scored thousands of 180gr 40/10mm & 230gr 45. Very light pull marks and once loaded you can't even tell. People that shoot around me think I'm made of money practicing with HST's but I don't tell em there reloads and I got them cheaper than lead bullets.

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
People that shoot around me think I'm made of money practicing with HST's but I don't tell em there reloads and I got them cheaper than lead bullets.
The range I shoot at is fairly small and a lot of members are older retired guys that may shoot 50-rounds of 9mm and 50-rounds of .22 LR at a time. I show up and shoot 200 .45s or 9mm, plus another 200-250 rounds of .38 Special, and the look at me like I'm Bill Gates wealthy.

Grumpy

·
Registered
227 Posts
The range I shoot at is fairly small and a lot of members are older retired guys that may shoot 50-rounds of 9mm and 50-rounds of .22 LR at a time. I show up and shoot 200 .45s or 9mm, plus another 200-250 rounds of .38 Special, and the look at me like I'm Bill Gates wealthy.

Grumpy
Once your brass is 10+ loadings and wore out just leave it. They'll think your Elon Musk wealthy-lol

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I have yet to verify any expansion from pistol HP at all, but I've got XTP's (9mm/45), Gold Sabers (147gr 9mm), and several boxes of cast HP.

If they ain't gonna' "flower", I'd just as soon shoot PC'd cast HP.
You Tube has tons of videos that show how the modern hollow point technology has improved the pistol HP expansion. Lots of guy using ballistic gel blocks and other targets to check the expansion on several makes of HP. Hornady specifically made the XTP to "flower" are pistol velocities. Cheers!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have yet to verify any expansion from pistol HP at all, but I've got XTP's (9mm/45), Gold Sabers (147gr 9mm), and several boxes of cast HP.

If they ain't gonna' "flower", I'd just as soon shoot PC'd cast HP.
This a joke right? Modern hollow points have been flowering into mushrooms ever since Fred Flintstone quit the working at the gravel pit.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
Gold Dots, especially since they have the SB variants optimized for compact pistols with shorter barrels are a favorite of mine for an Officer sized 1911. In .41 Mag and full sized .45 ACP I like the heavy XTP's (210 and 230 grain respectively). Also in .38spl and .45ACP I like Matt's soft cast HP's.

I've recovered Gold Dot SB's from water jugs and the expansion was dramatic-on the order of .75 inch, nearly double the original diameter with outstanding weight retention.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've tested a lot of bullets in a lot of materials (gel - two kinds, water, water-soaked news print, Duxseal - which did expand 9mm ball and .458 500 gr. steel jacketed solids!, Bob Hagels silt/sawdust mixture, ballistic test tube, other wax, even wet sand, an uncured rubber) - I've seen plenty of materials that will expand bullets of either the jacketed or non-jacketed variety - but I've never seen any medium that will duplicate flesh an bone with any reliability. I've also seen them test bullets at the FBI Academy (the tech told us: "bigger really is better").

The last pig I shot, one of the bullets exited and one penetrated 11-12" - that load (.475 325 at 1350) will go 48" in wet newsprint and over 80" of gel! I worked as an expert witness in a case that involved a 125 gr Remington JHP shot for a 1 7/8" 442 - the bullet didn't expand or deform in any way, did not hit bone and only penetrated 9-10" - in gel it often expands and when it doesn't it goes much deeper.

I shot a small shoat with a 9X23, 125 gr. Gold dot at 1650 fps (the range was short) - it did not expand (it did deform slightly) and only went 9" deep.

It is fairly well known that .45 Ball exits the human body about half the time - it will easily go 28-33" in gel.

Shooting stuff that bleeds is like rolling the dice; You just never know what is going to happen.

Riposte

·
Premium Member
7,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Gold Dots, especially since they have the SB variants optimized for compact pistols with shorter barrels are a favorite of mine for an Officer sized 1911. In .41 Mag and full sized .45 ACP I like the heavy XTP's (210 and 230 grain respectively). Also in .38spl and .45ACP I like Matt's soft cast HP's.
I plan on trying more of Matts hollow points in the future. I picked up some 275gr HPs for my Alaskan. Super performance. Granted I wasn't pushing them at super velocities, didn't intend to. If his other calibers perform similar, I will be trying several.

Grumpy

41 - 60 of 96 Posts