1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who still use single stage reloaders, which part or stage do you like least. Common admit it guys, there's got to be a process which bores you. Deburring, chamfing, lubricating and others not included. I feel sleepy during decapping and resizing.

vega

·
Registered
350 Posts
Least Favorite,,,,,,

Anytime I switch from HB ammo to SWC and I have to change/re-adjust my seating/crimping die.

Seat,,,,measure,,,,seat again,,,,measure,,,,seat,,,,,measure,,,,damn went too far,,,,chuck that one,,,,seat measure,,,,seat measure.

You get the picture, almost worth buying another die.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I load all of my rifle loads (except .233 for my AR) on a single stage press. I like the accuracy I get with extruded powder, but every charge needs to be weighed one at a time - which I hate. The RCBS electronic scale and powder meter fixed that. Now all I do is push buttons!

Next least favorite thing to do. After resizing rifle brass, I hate wiping off the case lube. I started throwing the resized and gooped up brass in the tumbler. This takes the lube off, but I now I have to pick the corn cob media out of the flashholes! Can someone suggest a quality brand of corncob media with a fine texture? This might enable me to avoid this problem too.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I hate decapping but not resizing (separate stage) since it drew blood from me once when the pin pierced into my index finger. No, it wasn't any distraction. It was the matter of the right and left hand coordination didn't work good on that day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've gotta agree with H4444. And it IS woth buying another die. I have three seating dies for .45ACP.
One for my LSWC load, one for my son's LRN load and one for JHP. Never have to readjust dies anymore.

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Turning necks is a big pain.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Sizing anything that requires the cases be lubed.

For a finer texture media, walnut is good. The only media I've ever used that never clogged a flash hole was some Midway walnut I bought in 1980. My understanding is that industrial type walnut media is very fine.

Since I've been using tuff-nut, I just accept the fact that at least 1 out of 10 cases will be clogged. It's not a big deal since I use this an an opportunity to inspect each case.

I tried several hundred .223 cases with pet store lube once, and anything is heaven compared to that. Each and every case was completely packed with this garbage and I had to use a dental pick to get the stuff out. That media is now reserved for cleaning off lube on non-bottle neck cases, so I guess I'll only get to use it on my .458 and 45-70 cases.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I keep my primers in the brass when I tumble them. I never get media in the flash hole!
This way, my brass is already clean when I decap and size (better for the die?).

The part I hate the most is cleaning the primer pockets with the little tool. I know I could skip this step, but then I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 10-18-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts