1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The search didn't turn up much on this. I've seen the how to carry while backpacking, riding the bike, and everything else threads.

I started counting the other day and I've got six ways of carrrying a 1911 without a belt and IWB/OWB holster. Safepacker, day-planner, belly-band, mexican, fanny pack, shoulder holster, are the ones I can think of laying around. Friend of mine carries a fanny pack from www.theconcealmentshop.com all the time. I picked one up for a commander several weeks ago and if I can get past my wearing a fanny pack complex, it just might turn out to be my favorite way to carry period, belt and holster included. Just curious what some of the favorites were?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
In my hand?
Seriously, I've never had a single carry problem that couldn't be solved by my Summer Special. I guess I just don't get the need for "many ways."

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
I have a Maxpedition Fatboy w/ccw holster, but I only carry in that when I have a whole bunch of other stuff to cart around with me (usually when I take trips). It is certainly a well designed and "handy" bag, but I will always take a belt holster when I can.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a belt/holster guy too, but this latest gadget has got me interested. Sometimes a belt/holster just isn't an option and I can't think of any circumstances where a fanny pack wouldn't work, so far. Just thinkin.

·
Premium Member
20,417 Posts
With my build, I'm stuck wearing a belt anyway. Why not add a VM2 and carry securely and comfortably?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not add a VM2 and carry securely and comfortably?
As I said, I have traditional holsters, I've used a summer special, and my favorite IWB is from Comp-Tac. I have read more than a few posts where for one reason or another the person carried a bug / pocket gun because they couldn't carry a full size. Some of the other methods are not so limiting.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
DMR400,

Any links/websites for the "Smartcarry"? Thanks, Tracy

·
Registered
131 Posts
DMR400,

Any links/websites for the "Smartcarry"? Thanks, Tracy
Sure:

http://www.smartcarry.com

Looks like they have revamped their website since I last was on there. I will admit I haven't carried a 5" 1911 in one but I have carried a Springfield XD Tactical (5" barrel also). Can be a little uncomfortable to bend over with a full size, but will conceal when nothing else will so it's another compromise, just like everything else in this gig.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Sure:

http://www.smartcarry.com

Looks like they have revamped their website since I last was on there. I will admit I haven't carried a 5" 1911 in one but I have carried a Springfield XD Tactical (5" barrel also). Can be a little uncomfortable to bend over with a full size, but will conceal when nothing else will so it's another compromise, just like everything else in this gig.
Thanks, I wouldn't want to carry my comped longslide in one though. :biglaugh: Tracy

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wear a Galco Miami vice shoulder rig almost daily with a full size Sig/226/40S&W. Very comfortable. Wear a generic kahki vest over it covers very well.

·
Registered
445 Posts
+1 to Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I noticed though, that when I am walking a lot, like on a hike, the bag gets in the way of my normal arm swing. Great bag though, they are very durable and can carry lots of stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts