1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So typical of our great FBI:

The weapons, a Colt M16-A1 rifle and an HS Precision Pro-Series 2000 sniper rifle, were taken from the government vehicle Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.

Police said they were able to use fingerprints to track down the person who stole the guns, and a civilian turned the guns in to police, but it was not clear if a person was taken into custody.

The FBI was offering a reward of up to $20,000 for the two weapons.

During that same time, items were stolen from other vehicles parked at nearby homes in Andover, the FBI said.

Earlier Wednesday, a bulletproof, tactical FBI vest was stolen from a car in Boston's South End. The theft was made from a Dodge Caravan parked at Edgerly Road and Burbank Street sometime before 7:15 a.m., Boston Police said.

There was no indication the two thefts were related.

And, of course, the FBI spokesperson said it was OK to store weapons in a vehicle overnight.

At least it's not as bad as the FBI SWAT van stolen in NY? earlier this tear where they got weapons, ammo & explosives

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I am not in any LE, never have been, but I just have to question the need for any LE to have full auto weapons, given how often they are stolen. I know LE never wants to be outgunned, but full auto weapons are rarely encountered in the hands of bad people, and I cannot recall any encounter where LE needed to use full auto to carry out their duty. I think all of us need to take responsibility to do whatever we can to minimize the chance our weapons are stolen, including LE.

I realize LE has to have to ability to quickly respond to threats, making it difficulty to always secure their firepower, but needing full auto weapons just doesn't make sense to me.

All the best....

·
Premium Member
2,894 Posts
I am not in any LE, never have been, but I just have to question the need for any LE to have full auto weapons, given how often they are stolen. I know LE never wants to be outgunned, but full auto weapons are rarely encountered in the hands of bad people, and I cannot recall any encounter where LE needed to use full auto to carry out their duty. I think all of us need to take responsibility to do whatever we can to minimize the chance our weapons are stolen, including LE.

I realize LE has to have to ability to quickly respond to threats, making it difficulty to always secure their firepower, but needing full auto weapons just doesn't make sense to me.

All the best....
They are prepared to repulse the horde of Americans demanding their 2A rights.:scratch:

·
Registered
26 Posts
20,00.00 reward

So typical of our great FBI:

The weapons, a Colt M16-A1 rifle and an HS Precision Pro-Series 2000 sniper rifle, were taken from the government vehicle Wednesday night or early Thursday morning.

Police said they were able to use fingerprints to track down the person who stole the guns, and a civilian turned the guns in to police, but it was not clear if a person was taken into custody.

During that same time, items were stolen from other vehicles parked at nearby homes in Andover, the FBI said.

Earlier Wednesday, a bulletproof, tactical FBI vest was stolen from a car in Boston's South End. The theft was made from a Dodge Caravan parked at Edgerly Road and Burbank Street sometime before 7:15 a.m., Boston Police said.

There was no indication the two thefts were related.

And, of course, the FBI spokesperson said it was OK to store weapons in a vehicle overnight.

At least it's not as bad as the FBI SWAT van stolen in NY? earlier this tear where they got weapons, ammo & explosives
the rifles were dropped off at the Lawrence PD, the news report did not say by who. just another sh*#ty news reporting story. if it were a private citizen their face would be all over news. the double standard could not be any more glaring, we here in Massachusetts have it uphill all the way with gun ownership. In my line of work i see a lot of tourist going through Boston, and the people that come from relative "free" states are shocked by what I tell them we have to go through.

·
Registered
123 Posts
In my federal agency the gun has to be locked in a approved armory/safe/vault or be on your person. All other locations must be approved by the agency security branch in advanced. It never ceases to amaze me how the so called "big boy rules" end up making us look like idiots.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts

All the best....
They don't need automatic weapons. They shoot too many innocent bystanders with semi auto weapons as it is. Some surplus military AR's are going to LE agencies and I think that's why they have them, not because they ordered them full auto.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

All the best....
I concur, I have shot many full auto guns and unless you can practice full time they are useless.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Where I used to work, we had full auto MP5s. Fortunately, they dumped them for semiautomatic ARs. Full auto weapons have no place in police work.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

All the best....
I agree. Vehicles are not secure. Recently, here in CA, some Highway Patrol vehicles were broken into, netting: badges, ID's, 2 AR-15's, 2 Remington shotguns, 2 tactical vests and I believe ammunition. The officers were on a training exercise.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,340 Posts
So, when a possibly armed teenager is on the loose, the entire city goes into lockdown and cops go door-to-door, cuffing citizens, etc., but when an assault rifle and sniper rifle are stolen from an FBI vehicle, a reward is offered and everyone waits to see if the weapons are turned in? Hmmmm. The latter sounds a lot more effective, certainly much cheaper, but the cops don't get to kick down any doors or ride in tanks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
They have made one arrest ...

16 year old from Lawrence, MA. He is in custody with his father

They pulled prints from the SWAT vehicle and from the get-away vehicle.

Kid is charged w/ -
1 count of theft over $250
1 count of theft under $250
1 count of B&E (I think)

No mention of unlawful posession of a firearm, etc

They won't mention who recovered the weapons, where they were found, etc. Want to keep the identity of the individual quiet so as to be able to keep citizen support in such matters. I'll bet some news agency gets the information and prints it soon enough

Update:
So now they are saying the teen who stole the guns, and his father turned in the guns

·
Registered
188 Posts
One of the most famous cases to dispute your claim, North Hollywood shootout, oh back in '98?

·
Registered
101 Posts
One of the most famous cases to dispute your claim, North Hollywood shootout, oh back in '98?
The North Hollywood shootout could have been stopped real quick with an semi-auto AR15. That incident lasted as long as it did because LAPD policy at the time forbid any long gun other than the shotgun, and the shotgun had to be loaded with 00 buck.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
I think a well placed bullet from a semi auto AR, would have done the trick.

I too have had the joy of firing a full auto weapon with a suppressor attached. Even pulling the trigger briefly it seems you burn through the rounds too fast, hold the trigger down, and I believe you will be spending more time reloading then aiming.

I feel that a 3-round burst is a happy medium.

Addressing the story.... colossal LOL. If the kid would have been smart enough to throw on a set of gloves he would have gotten away with it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts