1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Well I joined this forum awhile ago after buying a Kimber. Unfortunately I bought my Kimber about a week before I left the country for some work. I spent the last bit of time paying attention to 1911's and Kimber's specificaly so there was concern as to when I got back and got some range time. I bought my Kimber (plain jane Custom II) as an impulse wanting a 1911 for years. Picked up spare Kimber magazines also.
Spent several month's reading about Kimber's here and other place's and began to doubt my purchase. Rusting, malfunctions, customer service etc. Did I make a mistake?
Got back this past weekend and finally got to a range with her. Yes. there was some rust on it. I broke her down as soon as I got back and found an 1" by 1" on top of the barrel. Light spot, cleaned up and treated. Sucks that it;s there but after reading horror stories here, not too bad.
Then to the range. Did I get a "good" Kimber or a "bad" one. I have not bought ammo in at least 10 years so picking up 500 rounds of ammo was a wake up call to me. Cost some money, now I undertand all your complaints. Anyway, got the ammo and found a range.
End result, awsome weapon. Put 490 rounds through her and had one malfunction, with all Kimber magazines, and that was with a friend firing it on the malfunction. The only problem I had was cinching up enough to engage the grip safety, all my fault. I am used to Sig's and my grip being tight enough didnt work at first on the Kimber.
All and all, great weapon, have no issue's with Kimber. My friend actualy want's to buy a 1911 now after range time with the her.
I spent alot of time while I was deployed reading your guy's post, you helped me out, enabled me to kill alot of time, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's always great to hear that there were no problems with a Kimber 1911. It seemed that all i've read lately was how many failures Kimbers were having. My Ultra II has never had a problem and I have yet to take my Pro Crimson carry II to the range. Hopefully i'll get time soon to go break her in.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Congrats on your Custom II and for the positive report. I have the Custom II TLE version and it's my overall favorite 1911.

It was flawless out of the box and continues to be 100% reliable. It just keeps on tickin'.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Congrats, nice gun and welcome back to the USA, glad to have you back :rock:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good to hear...I've had several kimbers in the past, but never really had a problem with any of them when using good mags...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts