1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never noticed much difference shooting pistols, but sighting in a AR15 carbine in .45ACP recently I noticed something that surprised me. I was using a DeltaPoint optic at 50 yards rested. With my fifty-something year old eyes I was getting 2” groups with the Federal ammunition, and 4” groups with the Winchester ammo. I know these both are low cost range ammo, but didn’t think they would perform so differently. I know this could just be the preference of this gun, but has anyone else noticed an accuracy difference in these two?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
IMHO WWB of any caliber is the bottom of the food chain when it comes to brass cased ammo. It runs and is good range ammo but it is in my experience less consistent than other brands.

·
Premium Member
1,691 Posts
Probably the difference in powder speeds used between the two brands in the barrel length of your AR carbine. What length barrel?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Federal Champion is a step up from Federal American Eagle, which is probably a better round to compare to WWB. I've shot a lot of WWB, decent enough for blasting, but the round I stocked up on has been those 100 round boxes of Federal Champion.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I stopped using WWB many years ago. At one time it was good range ammo but it became too sooty dirty for me.
American Eagle is another factory load I steer clear of after a couple bad outings.
Blazer Brass is my go to for FMJ range ammo.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Federal Champion is a step up from Federal American Eagle, which is probably a better round to compare to WWB. I've shot a lot of WWB, decent enough for blasting, but the round I stocked up on has been those 100 round boxes of Federal Champion.
A few years ago this one Walmart in my area had the Federal Champion .45acp 100 round packs for $10 cheaper a box than all the other Walmarts. Needless to say I took what I could off their hands. Eventually they raised the price to match the other nearby stores.

·
Premium Member
7,453 Posts
WWB and UMC (or anything with a REM headstamp) is utter garbage. Lower than a snakes belly. Try PMC for the same price and you will never look back....

·
Registered
155 Posts
WWB and Federal Champion are usually my last choices. I prefer Fiocchi and American Eagle, in that order. You can find Fiocchi usually cheaper than WWB and it is a much higher quality brand. American Eagle is more expensive, but good ammo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts