1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was scrounging at the local shooting range and picked up a small pile of Federal NT .45 acp brass. I didn't notice anything unusual until I tried to reload it and the primer wouldn't seat. So, a little investigation leads me to believe that this is small pistol primer only. Am I correct? Should I throw this out or can I load it safely using my standard load of 5.4 grains Win 231/HP-38 and 200 LSWC? Or do I need to work up a new load? Not really interested in te latter and I certainly have enough brass to last me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yep, small primers. Winchester also makes NT with small primers and there is Speer brass with small primers that are not marked "NT". Always a surprise when found while loading:biglaugh:

From what I've read on various forums, it seems like these cases can be loaded the same. I have no personal experience with this as I cull my small pistol primer 45 brass. I shoot 5.0gr of W231 with a 200gr SWC bullet and have not loaded higher charges.

·
Registered
673 Posts
NT Brass

It is good brass to use with the small primers.... I put it aside till I get enough to use at a lost brass match..

J

·
Registered
922 Posts
It is good brass to use with the small primers.... I put it aside till I get enough to use at a lost brass match..

J
I did the same with NT SP 45acp brass this last summer. I deposit all my Amerc cases at these matches also. If I come across any now, I'll wait to reload them. I'm short on SP primers.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts