1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely see anyone mention using Federal Primers. I ended up buying 1000 of them the other day, because it's all I could find.
Is there some sort of thing to know about them?

I know that CCI primers are supposed to cause problems with Dillon equipment, from something I read on their website at one time, but they said nothing about any other primers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
555 Posts
The only beef I`ve ever had with Federals is with the shoe box they use for packageing. The primers are great, I use the 150s in my 45 ACP and 205M in my 223 with total satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've used federals before and never had a failure with them. I know people who prefer them. In fact, I would still probably use them but it seems like all you see around here is the winchesters.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Although current opinion seems to be that all primers are pretty similar, old school was that Federal made the softest (easiest to ignite) primers. That can be a good thing in a wheel gun with a lightened hammer spring from a trigger job or the like. It could conceivably be a bad thing in a service rifle with a free floating firing pin which could arguably cause a slam fire. The old school said CCI was the hardest followed by Winchester and Federal was the softest. I've never head where Remington fell in the mix. Since I started out as a service gunner, I always used Winchester. The Federal rifle primers always had a fantasic reputation with bolt gunners for accuracy.

I think they are all worth a shot in you particular load to see what works best for you.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also bought Federal LP primers because I couldn't find Winchesters at my local store. They've been working fine. The only problem is that the Lee priming tool specifically says NOT to use Federals in their unit for safety reasons. Capping on my Lee press offers no problem, however.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Federal are the best primers but, if you load them on a Dillon 650 be careful. I've had them go off on 3 different occasions. Scares the heck out of you. On the Square Deal no problems. Dillon claims the 650 has almost too much leverage. Paul

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good info- Good to hear people have good results with Federal. I'd just never seen them mentioned.

regarding hard/soft primers-
In the July 03 Armer. Rifleman, there's a good article in primers. The main point is that there are no hard/soft primers; at least in the area where the firing pin strikes, they are all the same. Thought ya'll might find the story interesting.

·
Registered
516 Posts
dsonyay said:
Thanks for all the good info- Good to hear people have good results with Federal. I'd just never seen them mentioned.

regarding hard/soft primers-
In the July 03 Armer. Rifleman, there's a good article in primers. The main point is that there are no hard/soft primers; at least in the area where the firing pin strikes, they are all the same. Thought ya'll might find the story interesting.
Threre was a pretty good thread about that Rifleman article on this forum back in July. Do a search for it if you have an interest. The major opinion I got from the thread and my own personal experience was that REVOLVERS that had action jobs or reduced springs for double action were much more reliable using FEDERAL primers. My experience is that I get lots of misfires using CCI & Win primers in my revolvers that are tuned. Using Federals---NO misfires at all. IMHO, the Federals must be softer or just ignite eaiser than the others....

·
Registered
507 Posts
Over the many years that I've been reloading, I've tried almost every possible brand of primers. Without getting into a very long explanation, I use Federal primers exclusively, now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My experience has been the same as Condo 45. Winchester and CCI primers cause failures with my tuned S&W revolver, but the Federals are 100%.

I still use nothing but Winchester primers for all other weapons though, because that is the one brand that can usually be found around here. I buy Federal primers for the revo when I can find them. I would consider using them for other loads as well if they were not so difficult to come by.

But then again, maybe I wouldn't because all of my tried and tested loads are based on the Winchesters.

·
Registered
302 Posts
dsonyay said:
The main point is that there are no hard/soft primers; at least in the area where the firing pin strikes, they are all the same.
Oddly enough, this month's issue of Front Sight has an article about primners as well, in which they claim that there are two formulations for priming compound, and that Federal uses a compound that is easier to ignite. Virtually everyone else uses the "other" compound. Yet I can't recall anyone complaining about Federal primers being soft, easy to set off, or anything else.

I use Winchester myself. Just happened to get the best deal on them when I started reloading and once I found a good recipe I wasn't about to change.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've been using Fed primers for about five years. I use them for all of my hunting loads, (and everything else if I can get them). IMHO they are the most consistent igniters in cold weather, (-20 F is not uncommon here), and so far they've never sold me a "bad" lot, (something I can't say about CCI for sure). They're clean to handle, well packaged, and after 25,000 haven't let me down once. BD

·
Registered
149 Posts
Federal primers are OK. Used them for a while, but I prefer Remington primers for loading 45's. Had excellent luck with them. Over 20k loaded without a problem.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've used both Federal and Winchesters (with a short, unpleasant experience with CCI) over the years, and I've settled on Winchesters exclusively. I've just found that the Federals seem harder to seat. This is especially an issue for me on rifle primers when using the Lee hand primer tool. Winchesters just seem to seat easier, and they've worked 100% over thousands of rounds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts