1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am about to complete my 1911/.40. It uses a Colt frame, Fusion SS slide, and a Kart standard ramp barrel. It shoots very well, in fact, I mustered a 1.5" 25 yard group using a mild handload. But . . .

After about 20 rounds, the slide would fail to go completely into battery fairly consistently. When I got back to my shop, I cycled rounds through it w/o the recoil spring and it chambers beautifully, but stops just short of complete slide closure. I then cleaned the chamber and tried it again. It was much better, but still is hesitant to go fully into battery. I can nudge the slide and get it to close that last 5-10%.

I have tried a factory round and my handload; both do the same. I then removed the extractor; no difference. I have examined the chamber and there are no burrs or rough areas. The chamber does seem tighter than my other 2 .40's (both CZ's). I have also polished the slide breach face and the firing pin hole has no burrs. The bullet ogive is not contacting the lands.

Do I need to send this to Kart with a dummy round and let them ream it for a tad more clearance?

·
Premium Member
14,637 Posts
All GS fit barrels need to be finish reamed, with a finish reamer.

LOG

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Do you feel this resistance when cycling the pistol without a round? If so, you may have barrel / bushing binding or just a tight lug to slide stop fit. If it cycles fine without a round, see LOG's post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts