1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, I bought a new Colt Defender in 9mm. The standard mags appear to be Metal Form. I cleaned the pistol thoroughly and headed to the range. I successfully fed 200 rounds of hardball ammo, both 115gr and 124gr weights. Not a single problem.

However, when I tried to run Hornady Critical Defense HP ammo, the first round would load, then the second would jam. The round looks flat in the mag, and it jams with the nose between the barrel and frame ramps.

I ordered a couple of spare Metal Form mags from Midway, and they do the same thing. I thought that it might be the truncated HP of the Hornady, but Federal and Barnes HP's do the same thing.

There don't appear to be any obvious problems with the mags, faulty lips or the like.

Any ideas what might be the problem here?

PS - My new Springfield Compact RO in 9mm runs all types of ammo with no feed problems at all. Their mags are Check Mate.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Critical Dense and Critical Duty rounds have that longer more pointy shape. The defense rounds are a tiny bit shorter in OAL than the duty's are but either seem to be longer than most other HP ammo. This can present challenges and looks like it may have for the non ramped feeding of your Defender.

I haven't tried either of these Hornady's in my Defender but I do run XTP's in mine.

I would suggest trying several brands or types of HP's and see if this is a common issue with all of them or if it is limited to the Defense ammo. This can help to determine if it is the rounds or the gun.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
New Colt Defender....

Sounds like your new Colt has nosediving issues.... you may want to call Colt customer service and see if they will help....

Personally, if I use a 9mm as a self defense gun, I want it to be extremely reliable with a wide variety of JHP ammo..... Fortunately for me, I know how to correct most problems regarding 9mm rounds nosediving.

Since your Colt is new, let the mfg. take a look or make recommendations. If you have someone work on it, it may void the Colt warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts