1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine bought a Mil-Spec Stainless. Right from the get go it had problems feeding and was putting a small ding in the brass about in the middle. After a quick inspection, we noticed that there was about a 1/8 inch gap from the top of the ramp to the barrel throat. In otherwards it didn't ramp smoothly into the barrel. (hope I descibed this so it can be understood) Is this common to the Mil-Spec? Any Mil-Spec owners noticed the same?It came from Davidson's, so he could get a replacement. But if this is the norm it won't solve his problem.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This fit of bbl to frame is normal...don't try to blend the two together or you will end up with a ruined frame and a jamomatic! Check extractor tension, as it may be too much or you might try lightly polishing the sharp corner at the bottom of the chamber.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Agreed - don't mess with that gap. It's there in every 1911 with an unramped barrel, and if you blend it you'll be incredibly sorry.

Dinged brass is generally caused by the ejection port. First of all, let me say that it's a cosmetic problem, not a functional one. But if you want to fix it, you'll need to lower the ejection port. Loaded models have scalloped, lowered ejection ports but the MilSpec does not. Search around for info if you want to do it yourself. And please - if you MUST use a Dremel to lower the port, clamp the slide into a vise!

Other things you may want to look at include the extractor tension, as Byrd stated, or you might need to tune or replace the ejector.

·
Registered
21,918 Posts
gunfanatic said:
A friend of mine bought a Mil-Spec Stainless. Right from the get go it had problems feeding and was putting a small ding in the brass about in the middle. After a quick inspection, we noticed that there was about a 1/8 inch gap from the top of the ramp to the barrel throat. In otherwards it didn't ramp smoothly into the barrel.
A 1/8" jump from frame ramp to barrel ramp (Misnamed "throat".) is about four times the normal. But it is measured with the barrel unlocked, down against the frame, and as far to the rear as it will go. The jump should be small, but it should be there. George C. Nonte ruined untold numbers of guns with his recommendations for a smoothly blended feed ramp.

The small ding - is it in the fired brass or is it a crescent shaped mark in a round that never makes it all the way into the chamber? If the former, it is due to extractor and ejector adjustment and to the GI ejection port. If the latter, it is due to at least a sharp edge at the chamber mouth and maybe to faults in the whole ramp and "throat" layout.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Manevitch said:
Loaded models have scalloped, lowered ejection ports but the MilSpec does not.
The WWII is the one with original ejection port not the other MilSpecs.

Steve

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yes do not try to blend the two together!!! At the club a guy bought a used "custom" 1911. It was a Caspian slide built on a STI frame. The barrel throat and feed ramp were blended together leaving no gap whatsoever. Guess what - he bought a jam-o-matic. Guess how much he paid? $2000. When he brought it to a smith he said most likely its because the original smith that put it together polished the feed ramp way too much leaving NO gap between the two. There was nothing he could do for him.

The guy was rippin' mad and he even went as far as to argue with the store that sold it to him. They said, "We're sorry but the only thing we can do is give you a trade value..." He caused a big stink so finally the store gave in and let him put that $2000 towards a Wilson.

Lesson learned - now I know what to look out for when buying a "custom" 1911. Why the smith did that I have NO idea but it explains why it was in the used case :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts