1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
152/155 gr LSWC are notoriously finicky to feed. they need a VERY well tuned pistol to work right. Here's a couple tips I use:

1. Polish your feed ramp. Polish it to a chrome-like finish.

2. Polish your barrel throat.

3. Open the front 1/4"of your mag lips just slightly. Maybe 1/16" is all you need.

4. If you can't get them to work, I'll buy them. ;)

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Feeding SWC and even WC bullets (and even empty cases), I've found, requires a combination of a high magazine position, a great magazine, a slightly reshaped frame ramp and barrel throat, then a good polish.

Reactions: 101st45

·
Super Moderator
14,727 Posts
While the photo clearly shows the situation, some words would be helpful. For example, does every round do this? Does it happen with factory ammo? Only with a certain magazine? Only the first round from a mag? Or the last? Does this ammo function in other 1911's?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'm with Jim on this one. Bolt-over-base malfunction.

The slide may be short-stroking which is caused by a mismatch between the strength of the recoil spring and the power of the cartridge. The cure is a lighter recoil spring and/or a heavier load.

If the slide is moving fully to the rear, it may be coming forward faster than the magazine spring can push the column of cartridges fully up into solid contact with the feedlips in time for the slide to engage the rim of the top most round. Instead, the slide contacts the case ahead of the rim and pushes the cartridge forward until the rim clears the magazine at which point the rim goes down, the nose goes up, the you get the malfunction shown in the picture. The cure is a lighter recoil spring and/or a stronger magazine spring.

Or it might be due to inertia feeding being caused by a weak magazine spring. The fix is replacing the mag spring with a new, stronger one or simply replacing the entire magazine with a new one.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Every new 1911 to me the first thing I do is to polish the feed ramp. Then I know if I have problems it’s not the feed ramp. Next is to do the barrel throat to flare the sides if it’s not done enough. Then it’s the extractor tension. What lube are you using on the slide grooves and frame rails. Friction isn’t our friend in this case. What recoil spring? Is it too heavy for this load? Then the above the mag spring. Don’t forget to lube the recoil spring.

·
Administrator
72,377 Posts
In my opinion either the slide is short-stroking as has been mentioned or you need different magazines with stronger springs and proper wadcutter-style feed lips. Don't screw with the feed ramp until you've researched the first two possibilities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The slide may be short-stroking which is caused by a mismatch between the strength of the recoil spring and the power of the cartridge. The cure is a lighter recoil spring and/or a heavier load.

If the slide is moving fully to the rear, it may be coming forward faster than the magazine spring can push the column of cartridges fully up into solid contact with the feedlips in time for the slide to engage the rim of the top most round. Instead, the slide contacts the case ahead of the rim and pushes the cartridge forward until the rim clears the magazine at which point the rim goes down, the nose goes up, the you get the malfunction shown in the picture. The cure is a lighter recoil spring and/or a stronger magazine spring.

Or it might be due to inertia feeding being caused by a weak magazine spring. The fix is replacing the mag spring with a new, stronger one or simply replacing the entire magazine with a new one.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Every new 1911 to me the first thing I do is to polish the feed ramp. Then I know if I have problems it’s not the feed ramp. Next is to do the barrel throat to flare the sides if it’s not done enough. Then it’s the extractor tension. What lube are you using on the slide grooves and frame rails. Friction isn’t our friend in this case. What recoil spring? Is it too heavy for this load? Then the above the mag spring. Don’t forget to lube the recoil spring.
Thanks, I have polished both already. I use stainless steel lube and not sure about the recoil spring but I've used light and the one that came with me combat . Have we magazines and used a new one. My extractor was dirty and looked straight so I cleaned it and put a little more pressure on the extractor, but haven't tried it yet. I would have thought that it was the button nose reload but it did it on on of the factory load sig elite 230gr. round nose. This only happens maybe once per magazine and sometimes not at all. But still.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

That sound like a good observation, I'll try it. Thanks
Is that a LSWC load?
Yes but it also happened with a 230gr factory round nose.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
152/155 gr LSWC are notoriously finicky to feed. they need a VERY well tuned pistol to work right. Here's a couple tips I use:

1. Polish your feed ramp. Polish it to a chrome-like finish.

2. Polish your barrel throat.

3. Open the front 1/4"of your mag lips just slightly. Maybe 1/16" is all you need.

4. If you can't get them to work, I'll buy them. ;)
Thanks, I was talking to the owner at magnus bullets and he was saying something about a flat feeding magazine? Said they work well with swc bullets. Before I widen my mags this only happens maybe once in a load or two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let's talk extractor tension, I've seen a little about it. If it is weak or flat could that be the problem?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Does it feed ball round nosed ammo ok? In the same mag? Do you have other mags that work ok?

I read that many guess the tension on the extractor. I personally don’t. I purchased the extractor tools from brownells to be sure it’s the correct tension and done right. I’m a perfectionist. Once the extractor is tensioned correctly if there’s a feeding problem the mag could be a problem. I have one USGI mag that doesn’t feed right. But the other 19 mags feed ok with the extractor tuned correctly I’m sure it’s the mag lips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Given the evidence presented in your pictures and your written description, it's very unlikely that the extractor is the source of the problem.
Kinda thinking the slide is short stroking, only why only every so often. Beats me.
Does it feed ball round nosed ammo ok? In the same mag? Do you have other mags that work ok?

I read that many guess the tension on the extractor. I personally don’t. I purchased the extractor tools from brownells to be sure it’s the correct tension and done right. I’m a perfectionist. Once the extractor is tensioned correctly if there’s a feeding problem the mag could be a problem. I have one USGI mag that doesn’t feed right. But the other 19 mags feed ok with the extractor tuned correctly I’m sure it’s the mag lips.
It did happen with one 230gh ball sig elite round

·
Administrator
72,377 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see where you mentioned what mags you are using.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
The gun is outrunning the mags ability to get a round into the right place or not cycling all the way. It's out of time, assuming the ramp is cut correctly the polish level doesn't matter all that much or you wouldn't be able to go 3k+ rounds worth of dirt and not have issues. It's likely a spring issues assuming the gun was made correctly at the part dimension level

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Kinda thinking the slide is short stroking, only why only every so often.
If it is short stroking randomly (this has yet to be determined), it could be due to variations during the handloading process wherein every once in a while less powder gets into a case.

It could also be that your grip or body position changes just enough once in a while to provide less resistance to the pistol. This in combination with a too strong recoil spring / mainspring / flat bottom firing pin stop could also explain it.

If you just want to start swapping parts out to see what happens, I'd suggest experimenting by trying a 12lb and a 14lb recoil spring as well as a 19lb mainspring. If some combination of these solves the problem, great, If not, I'd suggest buying one each magazine from Tripp, McCormick, and Wilson to see if one of these solves the problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts