1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
Not bad...

Anyone want to trade some Accurate 5744 or IMR 3031 to pick up some IMR 4895?

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Working on adding some balance to my life! ;)

Grumpy, I checked- this one did have my name on the box, but I'll keep an eye out for yours!!
Speaking of “balance”, I have a bad habit of grabbing powder “just because”, especially in times of plenty. Primers I have always been acutely aware of and pile them deep. My problem is that I don’t pay enough attention to the projectile inventory sometimes. Usually, it’s the last thing you need to worry about. But you know your methodology is screwed up when you have 10 times the powder and primers than you have bullets!!!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Speaking of “balance”, I have a bad habit of grabbing powder “just because”, especially in times of plenty. Primers I have always been acutely aware of and pile them deep. My problem is that I don’t pay enough attention to the projectile inventory sometimes. Usually, it’s the last thing you need to worry about. But you know your methodology is screwed up when you have 10 times the powder and primers than you have bullets!!!
I managed to stash plenty of projectiles before the worst hit. I also use a lot of cast bullets and have a good supply of S&S, Missouri Bullet Company, and various bullets from local casters. I've always felt if I'm going to reload I need stock plenty of components. Honestly, it's so easy to fail if you don't plan ahead.

Looks like flechero got a 4-pound jug of something and 4 one pounders of something. :) Rifle or pistol powders?

Grumpy

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Balance......

I had always been lower on projectiles... I spent some time in the last 6 months carefully shopping deals to build up my projectile supply at pre-covid prices. Once I got close I took a detailed inventory and calculator and started checking actual needs by load. That showed I was a tad light on powder to primers. So I took that opportunity to even up powder and then to try a few other powders I've wanted to try, since I already ate the hazmat fee.

I am still a little light on projectiles... but since they are fairly easy to get [albeit with a 2 month lead time] I wanted to sure up the P & P situation.

Honestly, it's so easy to fail if you don't plan ahead...
Rifle or pistol powders?
Planning is easy, when the discretionary income is availible! Just pistol powder.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
flechero, I fully understand. Many years ago and a couple ex-wives ago, I have very limited discretionary income. That was when I stared planning just to be able to afford anything. That mindset has carried on to where I am now. I'm retired, have a solid financial plan, adequate discretionary funds, and still look for bargains. I'm happy you were able to score some powder. I can remember a few years ago when H869 was about the only powder available. Almost made me buy something in .50 BMG. Almost. :)

Grumpy

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
The one thing that everyone should take away from times like these, is the fact that primers are always the first to go!!
You will always be able to trade for anything else. I am actually quite surprised that powder has survived this long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts