1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the FEG BHP clones are similar but not the same, esp. when it comes to the internals. I was wondering, though, does the magazines from BHP's work ok in the clones? What about the barrels? I have heard rumored that the magazines and slides will match up directly.

I have the opportunity to buy a new FEG clone for $239 (signed sealed and delivered), and would really like to get it since it is about the max I am looking to spend right now.

I know the PPK version that FEG puts out, will NOT take PPK clips, and it is a nightmare getting them, I'd rather not buy this gun to later find out that I can't even buy a spare magazine. LOL.

Thanks for your time.

Terry

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would re-think this whole thing if I were you. I had a terrible experience with the FEG Hi-Power. Mine was circa '94 manufacture, imported by KBI (don't know if that matters). It was a piece of crap! Major feed problems, horrible accuracy, blued finish would rust even if one stored it submerged in BreakFree, monstrous trigger, etc.

I don't know if they've gotten their act together yet, but I wouldn't even give 'em a serious look. In the price range you mentioned, you could pick up a CZ and be MUCHO better off.

Callahan

[This message has been edited by Inspector Harry Callahan (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
697 Posts
As I've recommended to some others on the forum, if you're not going to go with an actual Browning or FN Hi Power, the FM version made in Argentina is a better choice than the FEG.

They can usually be had for $325-375. That's a little more than what the FEG would be, but I think it would save you from problems in the end.

·
Registered
118 Posts
To answer your question I had a FEG and found it to be a very good shooter and quite durable. I suffer from hammer bite and traded it for a Witness. The Feg took any and all types of after market mags. I even had good luck with 2 Pro mags. If it wasnt for the bite I would do it again.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My FEG shoots great. The Browning 10 rounders work fine, and the after market 13 rounders fit, but I have troubles with the South African 17 rounders, they are just a pinch too fat to fit the FEG.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had also checked out www.fnhipower.com's site. Though I know that it isn't a quality gun, many people have had positive results with KBI's import of the Charles Daly's... so it seems that they may have improved some.

I decided to go with the FEG, mainly cause I'm looking for just a plinker to get the "hang of", since my personal choice for home defense is my shotgun (for obvious reasons). I figure since it has a warranty, whatever fails they will fix.

Anyways, thanks again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I see that Murphy's Law is still in effect. LOL. Yesterday, they had the FEG's in stock, today they, along with all the suppliers he goes through (my dealer) are out.

So I'm back to the drawing board. LOL. The hunt goes on

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
First of all let me say that I had a frame on a FM go south. It was my favorite pistol and it cost me about $350 to have it rebuilt. It is now my new favorite pistol. I have a FEG and it has been a good solid pistol although my gunsmith wasn't impressed with the metal. Buy the FEG, shoot the hell out of it, and throw it away when it is worn out. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Merlin,

Check out the gunshows ( watch out for them loopholes
).

Also websites like www.gunsamerica.com

Don't give up, you may run across an FEG yet. In the mean time you might even save up the extra cash for a Browning, a newly imported FN, or one of the Argentinian models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts