1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10mm has been a PITA since the day one.
With crack in frame to Piss poor fitted grip safety and so on.

But now that I have 3rd one from RIA, things are looking up.
Its now crack free, everything is fitted right(as far as $600 gun is concerned), and shooting good with proper spring.

So now I have time to notice how much I don't like these plastic MSH, and ugly as sin trigger that is too long for my liking.

So those got replaced.
Parts are ordered from Fusion(to save few bucks).

Ive always ordered checkered MSH. I felt like trying something new, so I ordered chain link type. Still undecided as to how I feel about it.
Its far less grippy than metal checkered MSH that I have on my 2011, but it does the job. yet its also far less abrasive then that.
Will see how I feel after shooting some round through it.
Short trigger is something I do on every single 1911's I have(except TRP - I want to send it in to SACS, to do few other things by them. I'll do it then).
I have small hand, so that the long(or even some mid length trigger) trigger has tendency to shoot off to left - because I don't have enough finger on it.
Trigger dropped in, and was a PERFECT fit. No wiggle at all. So that's cool
MSH needed to be fitted. I ended up filing the frame opening bit, eventho its always recommended to alter the less expensive part, it was so much easier to alter the frame side in this case...
MSH did made my grip safety to sit in slightly depressed in, thus grip safety no longer worked. So I had to file the both MSH and grip safety a bit, so that it sits in normal position(had to do the same thing with my 2011 and EdBrown MagwellMSH), but otherwise, it was straight fit.

I also shortened the ambi safety lever, and used some grip panel I had in my desk from some project that never materialized.

SO next thing I want to do is to ditch the ugry, useless Fiberoptic front and adjustable rear with XS Big dot and U-Notch rear(same set up as my carry gun)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Looks good and I tend to agree with your assessment of the FO sight. They are useless in the dark and seem fragile to boot. Was your trigger a Fusion brand? I like that it is without corrugations though my needs demand a long trigger to prevent the same target problem. I still want to change out the trigger in the TCM but the one I wanted wasn't in stock at Brownells and won't be for little while. The gun is awaiting it's new sight mount so I'm in no big hurry anyway.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks good and I tend to agree with your assessment of the FO sight. They are useless in the dark and seem fragile to boot. Was your trigger a Fusion brand? I like that it is without corrugations though my needs demand a long trigger to prevent the same target problem. I still want to change out the trigger in the TCM but the one I wanted wasn't in stock at Brownells and won't be for little while. The gun is awaiting it's new sight mount so I'm in no big hurry anyway.
Ya its Fusion trigger.
Interesting thing is that the I wanted the non serrated faced one, but picture shown in Fusion web site was serrated one.
I figure I'll hit it with dremel when it showed up, but none serrated one showed up(which is fine by me).

I like Fuison - Bob Serva was with DanWesson back when I had one, and their factory was 20 min drive from my house in NY back when I lived in Oneonta NY. So I like to support them.
But their website needs updated - badly

I have made pretty clear in the past that I myself feel no trust in ANY adjustable sight or in FO sight in carry gun. Extra complexities are something I do not value in anyway, and some are darn right dangerous in the any sort of carry gun with increased chance or snagging, FO tube falling out, and so on.
(This does NOT mean that I feel that there aren't any use for them. For a range gun, they are fine, as well as on the target shooting guns)

Plus I bought this 10mm with intention to turn it in to my camping/trail gun, and as such, the need of faster, and easier to pick up front sight in day OR night far surpasses extra precision such sight provide.

TFO may be a decent choice, as I have them in my Glock, but their rear sight does not allows you to operate the slide with your belt or whatever that U notch rear(such as that of 10-8 performance U notch rear and their Fusion knock offs in my case) provide

1 - 3 of 3 Posts