1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is blasphemy on a gun forum, but going for it anyway. I'm looking to consolidate and have fewer calibers, and generally nicer gear. I'm trying to figure out what's the bare minimum I could get away with and still fill all these different gun roles pretty well. I have a few guns that I think fill multiple roles, and a few I won't get rid of ever (my les baer competition 1911 and a springer ROC custom for carry, an over/under I bought years ago).

so here are the events I shoot and the things I want to do with them:
3 gun
Night 3 gun
USPSA (but like single stack and don't mind limited minor)
steel challenge
local style tactical matches (USPSA/IDPA fewer rules and no power floor)
informal skeet/trap/sporting clays

Home Defense
CC deep cover stuff
CC medium sized
Range fun

Now thinking about it, I'm sort of leaning towards a good AR set up with a 1-4, that should be good for 3 gun and HD
A semi auto 12 gauge for 3 gun and informal games. the serious skeet people look at you funny with an extended shotgun

but I'm having the most trouble with the pistol. I'm leaning towards an STI double stack 9mm with a rail (marauder or tactical) to fill the competition handgun rules for most of the events, serve as HD as well, and be occasionally carried if I'm going somewhere shady, but I'm too old to do that much.

the baer as it's set up is uncomfortable to carry with adjustable sights and giant magwell, and too annoying to switch back and forth. I have a little LCP to throw in the pocket to walk the dog, anything more adventurous than that go with the range officer compact.

so can anyone see something I'm missing or have suggestions? I don't mind selling some of my other stuff to help pair down and consolidate. Also, we're having our first kid shortly, so I'm sure my free time to shoot is going away even more than it is now. might as well get one gear set up I can do everything with and not waste time tinkering, right?

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Competition gun....

I am a DIY gunsmith and build all of my competition guns. I once built an STI 2011 Eagle "multi caliber gun. I fitted a 9mm Kart Barrel (for IDPA), a .40 cal Bar Sto barrel (for USPSA Limited) and a .38 super barrel (self defense) all using the same slide. I used a longer ejector for the 9mm barrel, so when I cleaned the gun, I would swap out the parts for the competition I planned to shoot.....it took less than 5 minutes.

Since I enjoy building my own guns, I now have separate STI 2011 guns for each barrel.....:rolleyes:

I believe you could get a slide with the removable breech face inserts from Infinity Firearms if you want to change calibers for 9mm through .45acp.....

http://www.sviguns.com/4007.php

A high cap pistol in your caliber of choice would be good for 3-gun as well....

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
You will have more events open to you if you choose a bushing gun.

STI Eagle 5.0 bushing barrel. 40S&W if you reload, 9mm if you don't.
Not exactly deep concealment so keep the LCP, but I'd say it can handle the rest of your pistol needs pretty well.

Marauder 9mm is your choice if you need the accessory rail. Either way...good choices!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will have more events open to you if you choose a bushing gun.
I'm thinking that's more an IDPA and USPSA SS suggestion, since they are they only sports that differentiate if it has a bushing or bull barrel, right?

my thought was if I wanted to shoot those particulars, i could use my actual carry gun or the Baer i plan to be buried with.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I'm thinking that's more an IDPA and USPSA SS suggestion, since they are they only sports that differentiate if it has a bushing or bull barrel, right?

my thought was if I wanted to shoot those particulars, i could use my actual carry gun or the Baer i plan to be buried with.
Sounds to me like you have it pretty well covered.

Correct. USPSA Single Stack Division and IDPA (full size) = no bull barrel.
My suggestions come from that this arena. In keeping with the spirit of your post, just want to suggest what would offer you more options.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds to me like you have it pretty well covered.

Correct. USPSA Single Stack Division and IDPA (full size) = no bull barrel.
My suggestions come from that this arena. In keeping with the spirit of your post, just want to suggest what would offer you more options.
thanks! I wish I could build a 2011. I'm sure with the correct tools I could make it work, but I'm sure with the parts I screw up it would end up costing what a full house custom costs but without the quality :roll eyes: leaning towards something factory.

it's honestly weird to think about paring down so much, especially with all these good gun deals popping up locally.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
As RWHFY mentioned, the SVI infinity is a very very nice option. The modular breech face is genius.

You know....this paring down talk is dangerous stuff. If the wife got wind of this 'crazy talk' you are going to seriously damage my specific tool for the job at hand thing I have going on.:)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As RWHFY mentioned, the SVI infinity is a very very nice option. The modular breech face is genius.

You know....this paring down talk is dangerous stuff. If the wife got wind of this 'crazy talk' you are going to seriously damage my specific tool for the job at hand thing I have going on.:)
I do like SVI and have layer with a few in real life. but I can't see spending more on a pistol than I did on my first 3 cars total. the low-end SVI hook up I had priced me out to almost $4700 :bawling:

this pairing down isn't working. I just bought a savage bold 22 because it was too good of a deal to pass up. It was as new, had a vortex scope, bipod, case, and ammo for about the cost of the dang thing new. Couldn't say no to that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts