1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys... So I got the latest issue of Shot Gun news today. On the front cover there is an add that reads.. Home FFL... I want to get an FFL as I could use this licence to sell guns to my customer base.. i am a tool dealer. I wanted to ask you guys.. Have any of you actually gotten an FFL using your home residence? Is this possible or is it no longer a reality..

Sorry if this has come up already. I used search but didn't get any hits that answered my questions..

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
Both of the Class 01 transfer agents/dealers I have used the last few years are home-based.

The issue is not with the BATF usually, it's with your local LE agency. They have to sign off on it. As they explained it to me, some jurisdictions have zoning requirements, some don't. So it will likely come down to where you live and local control, but not the BATF.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes.. Of course.. here is the section of the licencing code..

C. LICENSING

(C1) Who can get a license? [Back]

ATF will approve the application if the applicant:

Is 21 years of age or older;

Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;

Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;

Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;

Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and

The applicant certifies that:

the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premises is located
within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met;

the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises is located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license; and

secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (“secure gun storage or safety device” is defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(34)).
[18 U.S.C. 923(d)(1), 27 CFR 478.47(b)]

So I guess the best place to start is at the local PD... Correct?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My next door neighbor got his FFL about 4 months ago, using his house as a base. He's sold probably 40 guns, mostly to friends (including me), but there's always that transfer from a pawn shop or the internet that brings the unknowns to and inside his house. His wife doesn't like it, and I don't like it. Our 2 houses are pretty secluded on around 10 acres, and I don't like strangers being around, much less turning around in my yard and tracking mud all over my driveway, not to mention being able to see my "routine"-things that could never be seen from the main road. It may be a different deal in a different locale, but I think he's having second thoughts. Just one of many things to think about before you make the big decision...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah.. I hear ya on that one.. I own a tool dealership. i would mostly be selling and dealing with current customer and not strangers.. I certainly wouldn't want to have strangers in my home..

If I wanted to make this my primary business I would rent a storefront and operate there..

Thanks for bringing this up..

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You're very welcome, just some things that he didn't think about first. And he's not making any money at it, considering the price of the FFL and selling to all of his friends at his cost plus the transfer fee, or shipping, or background check. (Oh, the background check software is expensive, too). I know he hasn't made more than $10 profit on 90% of the guns he's sold so far.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're very welcome, just some things that he didn't think about first. And he's not making any money at it, considering the price of the FFL and selling to all of his friends at his cost plus the transfer fee, or shipping, or background check. (Oh, the background check software is expensive, too). I know he hasn't made more than $10 profit on 90% of the guns he's sold so far.
Wow.. that's too bad.. I have had the reverse experience with private sales I have made to my customers over the years... I have customers that are willing to pay over list just because I allow them to make payments weekly with no interest.. :) and I keep the gun until they are paid off...

I recently got an offer from someone to buy my Ed Brown for $400 more them I got it for.. I didn't accept that as it's not for sale but you get the idea.. :rock:

·
Registered
7,703 Posts
As far as I know they will not allow you to work out of the home. The guy I bought my Calico guns from is an old FFL that is grandfathered in. I am pretty sure the rules were changed in the mid 80's

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
You need to check your city codes as to the allowance of a home based store. In Virginia Beach, Va. a store front is required by city code. I had my FFL many years ago and should have kept it as I would probably been allowed to still operate out of my house. Of course when I obtained my FFL it was only $30.00 per year and not the $300.00 as it is now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My neighbor had an FFL and was selling from his home. This was about 4 years ago and I'm not sure he does it any longer. Coincidentally, he's also a town cop.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
"Of course when I obtained my FFL it was only $30.00 per year and not the $300.00 as it is now."

Somebody needs to tell the BATFE that I'm being undercharged.

Another 'internet expert' with bogus info.

:(

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
There is a good thing about my neighbor doing his FFL business from his home (with no storefront, sign, etc.). I get to check out every new gun he gets in, before his customers turn around in my yard and track mud through my driveway...and his FFL was $300.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
"Of course when I obtained my FFL it was only $30.00 per year and not the $300.00 as it is now."

I should have said it used to be $30.00 for 3 years. I made a mistake so that makes me an "internet expert" with bogus info!! It is know it alls like you that give the forum a bad rep my friend!!!

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Cory, your are correct. The last time that I checked it was $300.00 for 3 years.:rock:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had an FFL since the early 1980's. I retired from the military and moved back to my home state with the intent of opening up a gun store. When I attempted to transfer my license to my new address, I was told that I couldn't sell retail out of my home by my county licensing office. I live out in the county and had built a large building on my property to serve as a gun-store. I was told that even though the shop is several hundred feet away from my house in an unincorporated area, it is still consided my residence. I was allowed to get a home occupancy license that allowed me to use 500 sq ft of my house for a gunsmithing business. I am not allowed to sell firearms. If you are wondering how they knocked the number of FFL holders from over 196000 down to around 50000, this was how it was done.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

Thank goodness for professionalism.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Professionalism, is that what you call it Ditto 95!!!!!:biglaugh:

Well guys this has gotten to be a bashing thread and should be closed!! If you want to obtain your FFL just be sure to check your local zoning laws first!! :rock:

·
Registered
14,940 Posts
As far as I know they will not allow you to work out of the home. The guy I bought my Calico guns from is an old FFL that is grandfathered in. I am pretty sure the rules were changed in the mid 80's
How about a link to those changed rules?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts