1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This isn't the "normal" wife/girlrfiend/fiance 1911 trouble post... No, this one is of a different variety altogether.

As many of you know, I sold my Glocks and LDAs. I now own only 1911 pistols. I love the 1911. No problem here.

The trouble is that there is still a Glock 17 in my safe. :( It belongs to my fiance.

I get her to try my 1911s once in a while, and she likes the trigger pull, but can't make her mind up about the grip shape in the hand. She likes the Alumagrips better than the wood grips, so thats cool.

She also can't seem to figure out what weight she likes. The other day she was trying my SA Champion and said that it felt a little heavy, and that she liked my SA fullsize lightweight bettery. I was confused by this, as the Champion should be a bit lighter than the SA fullsize lightweight.

She also has a hard time pulling the slide back on all of my 1911s (and thus has trouble slingshotting, which I have taught her as the 'proper' way to load the gun). I'm ordering parts from Brownell's right now so I thought I would try some different things like lighter mainspring housings. I've suggested that she thumbcock the hammer before racking the slide, thinking that might make it easier for her. I'm afraid, though, that those two things are things she just doesn't like about the 1911.

I keep telling her I'm going to buy her a SA Stainless 1911 in 9mm. I really want to, too! I'm nervous that she won't like it (and thus won't shoot it) though. And if I were to buy a 9mm it would be a STI Trojan 6.0, not a Springer.

So - what can I do? She likes her Glock - I don't want her to not like her Glock, necessarily... but I DO want her to like a 1911. What can I dooooooo? :bawling:

Thanks folks :)

· Registered
532 Posts
Just take her to the range more. Let her shoot it more often. I guess you really can't make her like the 1911, but you can give her every oportunity to.

· Registered
585 Posts
I guess maybe I don't understand why it bothers you... I mean, if she owned/shot a Phoenix Arms 25 that would be reason to get her to change to something else. Glocks are excellent weapons and if she likes it why try to sway her?

Let her shoot your 1911s when at the range and maybe she'll grow to love it as we all do, but you have a woman who likes/shoots a "tier 1" sidearm... you are luckier than most IMO.

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My_Name said:
but you have a woman who likes/shoots a "tier 1" sidearm... you are luckier than most IMO.
Ain't that the truth, brother! :D :D

· Registered
223 Posts
Variety is the spice of life!
There are alot of things great about both guns. I have never owned a Glock but will someday. My Dad has a couple, this weekend he bought a drop in 9MM barrel that he can drop into his compact.40 to convert it to a nine. Thought that was way cool.

· Registered
307 Posts
I agree to let her shoot what ever she is most comfortable with.

My wife satrted out like this:

1) S&W Airweight .38 special; (CCW gun)
2) Kimber Compact Stainless II in .45; (Was her CCW)
3) G19C; (CCW after KCS II)
4) G26; (Ankle Gun)
5) Kimber Pro Tactical II in 9mm, which she traded her KCS II for; (Range Gun)
6) Limited Edition Kimber Target Match (her favorite by far)(Range Gun)

Both glocks are now retired, and the S&W remains the carry gun.

I still keep a G26 on my ankles at all times.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
So - what can I do? She likes her Glock - I don't want her to not like her Glock, necessarily... but I DO want her to like a 1911. What can I dooooooo? :bawling:

Thanks folks :)
Nothing. Just be greatful that she doesn't have a problem with guns. Do everything to ensure that she keeps that interest. Life isn't pretty when your significant other frowns on your hobby.

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
Man, I wish I had your problem. My wife is more understanding than most, but she isn't enthusiastic about my firearm collection syndrome. She tolerates it. This is a huge improvement over where she was when we met, she was decidedly anti, her mom was a member of the National Coalition to Ban Handguns, my wife is now an NRA member (finally! :rock: ) and she will shoot with me on the rare occasion. It's been slow progress, but progress nonetheless. I'm still waiting for the, "I want to get my permit,' day to happen. Someday...

Robert

· Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tinfinger said:
1911's and Glocks can live in harmony. :)
:biglaugh: :rock:

· Registered
191 Posts
1911 vs Glock

Considering that many others have to justify their passion for firearms and self defense, to their significant others, be happy she understands. As others have said, continue to give her the opportunity to shoot your 1911s, and maybe she'll "convert" on her own. If not, then just be happy she shares your interest.

· Registered
877 Posts
I'm with the others that say leave her alone, stop forcing the 1911 on her and let her shoot what she wants. You're lucky she even likes to shoot, and doesn't care that you shoot either.

Pick your battles man - this ain't one.

· Registered
667 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
She also has a hard time pulling the slide back on all of my 1911s (and thus has trouble slingshotting, which I have taught her as the 'proper' way to load the gun). I'm ordering parts from Brownell's right now so I thought I would try some different things like lighter mainspring housings. I've suggested that she thumbcock the hammer before racking the slide, thinking that might make it easier for her. I'm afraid, though, that those two things are things she just doesn't like about the 1911.
My wife is on the petite side. She likes shooting 1911's, but also had trouble working the slide. Cocking the hammer DID help her, as it lessened the weight she was pulling the slide against.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
sevenL4 said:
Xori, what is 'slingshotting'?
I'm guessing it is the "proper" technique to load a semi-automatic weapon, i.e. pull the slide all the way back and let it go home on it's own, without riding it forward, just like you would shoot a slingshot or a bow.

Xori. Listen. I've seen so many woman that don't like guns. You are very lucky that your wife shoots them, as it is something you can share together. Let her shoot what she likes! But yes, you can offer her to try new stuff of course! The XD suggestion sounds good to me. A 9mm 1911 too! If I had a woman that liked guns, I wouldn't mind having 13 Glocks in my safe!!!!

I've seen quite a few people like the Glock because the the very high grip it provides. Even though they are pretty snappy in recoil, they control well. Most striker fired pistols are like that, as they don't require room for a pivot of the hammer between the hand and the barrel.

Give her choice, make her try things, but also, let her make her own descisions.

Go shoooooot have fun!!!!! :rock:

Alex.

· Registered
250 Posts
1911's are great, but they are not for everybody. My fiance prefers my HK P7M8.

If difficulty actuating the slide is the main reason she does not like the 1911, here is a technique that works for many: Put the weak hand over the slide with the thumb facing towards the hammer and grasping the cocking serrations firmly. Take a regular firing grip with the strong hand (finger off the trigger of course) and push the receiver forward with the strong hand while firmly gripping the slide with the weak hand. This works for my fiance for all firearms including my Kahr Mk9 which has a very strong recoil spring to overcome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.