1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago my Grandfather showed me a Remington semi-auto 12 gauge that belonged to his father. It has a fiberglass barrel. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Chris.

P.S. Sorry for putting this thread in the wrong place before.

·
Registered
709 Posts
the only fiberglass barrel I have ever heard of was the Winchester Win-lite barrel

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I am having "flash-backs" of my uncle having a 12 gauge with a fiberglass barrel, (many years ago) - I will have to ask him.

I wish that I could remember my memories - :confused: :( :bawling:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
there is a guy in Cal. that makes them about 6' long and ports the last two feet. he uses them for pest geese, shoots farther and quieter, and is not a suppressor per ATF. its been in Popular Mechanics and Farm Show. He says its a take off of the Winlite style.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
would they be 12 gauge - or more along the line of a cannon?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Winchester 59 article:
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/articles/winchester59.html

And it's not actually fiberglass, but a very thin steel barrel wrapped in fiberglass thread (something like 10,000 miles or some extreme length of thread).
I think may have been the first shotgun with choke tubes.

Every one I've seen, which isn't many, had a pretty battered looking barrel. They had bumps and gouges and generally looked awful, so I'm guessing they were pretty soft and easy to ding up in the field.

·
Super Moderator
7,785 Posts
I have a CF sleeve on one of my T2K barrels...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
That's a great looking rig, Tom! :rock:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Glass barrel

Watch carbon fiber in a lightning storm, [ it explodes if struck,] didn't know they made that barrel. Tom where did you get that blue furniture, that looks sharp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts