1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
That's just high-priced sight paint. You can get Testor model paint a lot cheaper and it works just as well if not better. A couple of tips -- lay down a coat of white paint on your sight first and then when it dries lay down the colored paint (orange or yellow or whatever you like). When that dries, put on a coat of clear fingernail polish as a sealer. Works great!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Ditto what GrandMasterB just said.

I have used gold modeler's paint to "dot" or "bar" my front sight and it works....while also being nice and cheap....relatively speaking....paint and those very tiny brushes.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,305 Posts
I followed the link, and don't see anything about fiber optics?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried some of the Brightsight paint on a tiny KelTec P3AT (380 auto-loader) when my 60 year old eyes could not resolve the sights. I outlined the groove in the rear and painted the ramp of the front sight. The yellow-green color permits me to pick up the sights much more quickly.
As others have said, model paint likely would work just as well.

Ron

·
Registered
413 Posts
I guess I'll be the lone dissenter to say I've used both model paint and the bright site stuff and I realy like the bright site paint. I used white to fill in the dots on a CZ clone. Still very bright white and hasn't been affected by solvents 3 or 4 years later with lots of rounds through it.

It's spendy for the amount you get but it's still only 6 or 7 bucks. That's not too bad if you decide you don't like it.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
over the years

Like Brightsites paint, but hatehatehate the bottles.
After time passes they become lid-locked, and every attempt simply broke the bottle.

I bought a six-pack of Testors Fluorescent paints, and had good results with them.
Color is personal.

Bottom line: I try to install fiber-optic or Millett orange-ramp front sights (but my Witnesses slides all have the integral front blade, so paint or big-$ it is).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts