1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being unhampered by knowledge, I feel that I have adequate license to ask stupid questions: What is the diameter of a Tritium capsule and could one be imbedded in the front(or rear) surface of a fiber-optic rod?

I assume that Tritium is at most an Alpha emitter and the plastic rod would provide enough shielding. You would end up with a fiber-optic night-sight.. (Isn't it amazing what you can come up with when you are ignorant?)

This must have been tried before and/or
there are several reasons why it won't work- either that or I'm on to something. How about some feedback?

Waldo1

------------------
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement upon human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, 1783

·
Registered
21,711 Posts
Aro-Tek used to offer such a sight. It is not in the current Brownells or on the Aro-Tek www site. I have not actually seen one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't answer the diameter question.. I did however end up with one of those Aero-teck fiber optic/tritnium sights for a glock. The tritnium part worked as well as any other night sight. Unfortunately the fiber optic tube was made very short and didnt' gather enough light except maybe in very bright sunlight. i think the idea is sound but the exectution was lacking .

Ps I still have the sight if anyone wants to bid $

shiro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Truglo I believe has a patent on this type of application. PT Night Sights is supplying the tritium and they are attached by a optical connector. you can contact Truglo at www.truglosights.com. Oh, by the way tritium can be made in many different sizes depending on the application.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts