1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen one of these sights on the front of a Wilson KZ-45 and was curious if anyone here had any recommendations on what to use and where to get them.

·
Registered
188 Posts
a few companies that deal with these are dawson,pro-sight,true-glow,caspian.
I have the dawson and really liked it at first, it's very very bright in any light, but are very limited to the height of the front sight. Not important if you have adjustable rear. It's a little too tall for me so I shoot about 2 inches low. For idpa the narrower dawson sight allows for fast and easy to see the targets, but is harder to see in nite time matches.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi-Viz makes nice fiber optic front sights, too.

Installation can be tricky. I broke my first one. It may be cheaper in the long run to hire the job done.

It is a boon to good shooting for those with over-45 eyes. Just center the red or green fuzzy glowing dot in ther rear sight notch, no need to see a sharp, crisp black front sight picture.
www.brownells.com

has most of the front fiber optic sights on the market.
www.dawsonprecision.com has sights, too.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Originally posted by banjobart:

It is a boon to good shooting for those with over-45 eyes. Just center the red or green fuzzy glowing dot in ther rear sight notch, no need to see a sharp, crisp black front sight picture.

You just described me! I put a fiber optic sight on my Kimber CST, and am having another installed on my single stack 40. I think they are great! I like the green element, better than the red. As far as night sites are concerned, fiber optic sights at night are useless. Fiber optics capture energy and focus it, they do not have any of their own, like true night sights have.

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by John Forsyth (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I can highly recommend our own forum member,
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245 http://www.brazoscustom.com

Very bright, and custom heights and
configurations!

Chuck

[This message has been edited by pistolwrench (edited 03-01-2001).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Love mine....
Fifty-four year old eyes.
Have them on both my gov models.
Not sure if it's the contrast, the
glow, or both; but they work.
By the way, both are carry and IDPA guns.
I see no downside, except the low-light
factor. During normal daylight hours they
are great.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I have the Caspian front .To go with my Heinie rear.I like it alot and it helps my tierd old eyes.The Caspian came with two colors.The give you enough rod to do each color 3 times.All that for $20.00

------------------
Have fun & Shoot Straight

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mr. Forsyth. Can you please tell me some more about your sight. Like mfg. Where to find. Price. It is the best looking I have seen yet. Thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
I have some info on how fiber optics work and what makes some better than others and a few other tips on my web page under the tips and tricks section. Might help you make up your mind.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Originally posted by FRISBEE:
Mr. Forsyth. Can you please tell me some more about your sight. Like mfg. Where to find. Price. It is the best looking I have seen yet. Thank you for your time.
Sorry FRISBEE, it is not available anymore.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr.Forsyth; those are some fine looking sights. Too bad they are not available.

I have seen the HI-VIZ in one of the local gun shops,but weren't too sure of how well they might hold up.

Pistolwrench; right now I am not sure what I would be putting these on, but possibly my Wilson KZ45,Kimber,of Colt Govt. Is this a possibility with yours?

I too have the over 45-eyes so I need all the help I can get
Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Jspy,
Sorry but I guess I was misunderstood.
Bob Londrigan of Brazos Custom is the manufacturer.
See his above post for contact info.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Big difference for [email protected] I didn't realize how much my eyes had deteriorated since I last shot alot...Pitiful...I can still see my red ramp on my 629, but the black on black on my SA Champ was INVISIBLE!!! I was just lookin' at the target and squeezin'...I like this green one...I need some new fibre though, got chemicals on this and made it dark!!!I'm headin' your way BOB!!!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My mistake Pistolwrench, I was in a hurry and meant to direct this to Bob from Brazos. I know that my Wilson and Kimber have the front dovetail, but none of my Colts do. Is there something Brazos has that will work on them?

Sport; how did you manage on your govt models?

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
I've got one that will drop in on the Kimber but I'm not sure on the Wilson. Last I remember they were using a weird dovetail that no one else was using. I think it was like 0.060x0.290x60 or something. I have one for a Heinie/STI/SV dovetail that might work if you get me the dimensions for your dovetail I could tell you if it would or I might be able to modify one to work for you. I need the dovetail size and how far from the front of the slide to the center of the dovetail. For staked on front sights I can mill a dovetail -- If you buy sight I'll do the dovetail cut for $20 plus $34.99 for the sight. One day turnaround.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had the Hi-Viz sight on my SIG for a year now, and it is still as good as the day I had it put on. Still have the other five rods in the package. I was at my sister's place shooting at a six-disk stand with her husband. When it was too dark to see the disks, we could still see that little glowing green dot. Hunting one for my Kimber now. Can't beat it for those older eyes; I cut my groups in half with it.

Originally posted by Jspy:
Mr.Forsyth; those are some fine looking sights. Too bad they are not available.

I have seen the HI-VIZ in one of the local gun shops,but weren't too sure of how well they might hold up.

Pistolwrench; right now I am not sure what I would be putting these on, but possibly my Wilson KZ45,Kimber,of Colt Govt. Is this a possibility with yours?

I too have the over 45-eyes so I need all the help I can get
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Brazos Custom Gunworks
I've got one that will drop in on the Kimber but I'm not sure on the Wilson. For staked on front sights I can mill a dovetail -- If you buy sight I'll do the dovetail cut for $20 plus $34.99 for the sight. One day turnaround.

Bob; I am definately interested in the Kimber.(Royal Carry) I may try that one first and see how I like it. Then I would have to figure out which Colt to do next..

I might pass on the Wilson for now..I haven't even shot the darn thing yet. Let me know what I may need to do to order one for the Kimber...Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts