1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Non nuclear. Let's just say it's lights out, as in a total black out. Going on 5 days now with no end in sight. No lights, no heat, etc.

Do you have a plan? Are you going to "head for the hills", or stay put and defend your home?

Me? I'm staying put and guarding what's mine. For me, it makes more sense to stay put with a roof over my head vesus trying to find cover in the woods.

What say you?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hard to say. Depends on a number of factors. My inclination would be to stand my ground- my neighbor is a former Green Beret, so the two of us could be mutually supporting. But no matter what defense you provide, there is always some kind of attack that can breach it- no way would I be stubborn and consign my loved ones to a horrible fate because I wanted to play Rambo. You would have to take it and evaluate it as it comes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree, but I think one of the biggest factors is how prepared are you? For example:

The key is having a goodly amount of supplies stashed away in your home, then you can cope quite well without electricity and running water. Take a look around your home and see just how much space is available for food supplies, water, fuel, etc. It's the people who rely on Safeway, Piggly Wiggly, Abertsons, etc., that are going to be hurting.

Basic supplies should be:

Water
Ammo
Clothes
Fuel
Back Pack Stove/Heater
Flashlights
Matches/Lighter
MRE's
Candles
Coffee (at least for me it is a need)
Smokes ( if you smoke)

Can you guys think of any other items?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I would definitely stay put. Compared to where most folks are, I'm already in the hills.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I live out in the country. If I lost power for a month it wouldn't really matter. I have generators, two water wells, lots of canned food, live beef cattle, several sources of heat and lots of ammunition.

Don't know what I would do if I lived in town. Can't imagine living in a world where my electricity, water source and heat were "non-negotiatable" It would definently make life uncomfortable if the grid were to go down. Guess this is why I would never choose to live in town!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes, but I'm not foolish enough to discuss it with anyone outside my need to know circle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Defend my house and family. Last winter we had a power outage that lasted 3 days and nights. No problem for me already had the old military gased up and ready to go. Press button and presto changeo, I now have lots of power. More then I could possibly use.

·
Registered
257 Posts
yeah, a generator would be nice. We had a 3 day power outage in buffalo a few years ago during a blizzard. We had plenty of supplies to last but we had no power and it and was too cold to stay at home for long. It was pretty crappy hanging out in a dark, 20 degree house when it's only 5pm and too early to try to sleep, even if you could in the freezing cold.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I'm staying put, unless driven out by fire or CBN hazards. I haven't found a suitable location to cache gear & supplies, and don't think I would fare well as a nomad, traveling light and relying on handouts from others. Water is a major need; you can survive for a month on 30 gallons. That weighs a bit less that 200 pounds. I'm not a pack horse.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Right now I'm more worried about someone pounding on the door at 2am and telling us there's a flash flood coming and we have 10 minutes to get out - I'm preparing a BOB for that so that we'd only have to grab some clothes and guns.

I am also preparing at home in case we were to have to go without food/water/power whatever for a few days. I just started though so it won't be ready for a while! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I keep it on my mind

In western NY we have had two major power outages due to ice storms with power off 9 days on one and 5 on another and I am not even talking about the East Coast outage this summer.. It feels helpless to have it come down unprepared so I keep prepared. Generator is locked and loaded with only a switch to throw. A 375 gallon poly tank is kept filled and is plumbed in to the well pump by solenoid valves connected to a timer set at whatever fill cycle you need per hour in case of low water supply. Canned and dry foods are kept and updated and rotated. Flashlites are ready and extra storage batteries power an inverter in case the generator fails. Two woodstoves can heat the house in any weather. 300 rounds of each of both pistols, 150 for each rifle and two cases shotgun at all times. Dillon and components available can make three times that much.

I can't say I'm ready for the end of the world but prepared enough to last a while.

Dog

·
Registered
189 Posts
Re: I keep it on my mind

DOGGORLOADER said:
I can't say I'm ready for the end of the world but prepared enough to last a while.
I love it!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
513 Posts
We planned our house "off the grid". Well, Septic, solar & Wind & generator for power, wood stove for heat & cooking, extra food in the walk in pantry. We are staying put. High enough we cannot flood, open enough fire is not a major hazard. Plus we have a 2 mile field of fire...ah, er, field of view to the road.

So, shtf, I get the belt fed full auto out, load some more mags for the BAR, and, ah, urge people to leave us alone.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I really have no place to run too. No mountains or woods big enough around here. All of my supplies are at home, and you couldnt carry out enough food to last very long. I will stay and defend my home, if i die, so be it. What are they gonna do, send me home early?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts