1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 89 Posts

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation:

I live in the country. Remote for the Sheriff.

Within 14 months my county has had two home invasion style attacks. In both cases people died. details are sketchy - but unofficially; In both cases, the fights started in the house onto the front porches and ended up in the driveways / outdoors. Some bad guys stayed outside the house and shot into the house. Both sides were druggies (for what that is worth / no surprise).

from either structure I can see down my driveway about 70 yards and its total length is about 500 yards, wooded and natural drainage valleys, hilly only navigable by foot other than the drive.

I have a detached, over the garage, studio apartment about 35 yards from my main house. Guests like to stay there. Often they are my family.

Thoughts

I was reading another topic on the forum and folks where saying best course of action if someone comes in your house is to stay in the bedroom and call 911. Wait for the police.

I am not saying that is bad advice for some, but for me it might not work...if someone is doing bad things to a family member outside your main house... this is completely different - i have not seen this discussed on this forum.

I am not a involved in a criminal enterprise, so me thinks this scenario is unlikely...but the bad guys are real and it is their MO.

Question...

Is there ever a reason to be more offensive in the defense of your loved ones? What to consider if you decide to help family in a detached building on your property. Wondering what you guys thought?

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree - Lets narrow the focus...

It is hard to really make an assessment without further information.
Thank you for the questions, i appreciate your (above) detailed approach.

I am NOT really looking for ways / strategies to improve my surveillance, alarms, or security. I appreciate the offer of an assessment. ...I agree too much info, with all those details (I am leaving lots out - deliberately - way too many considerations).

I am hoping to keep the topic on:
Question...
Is there ever a reason to be more offensive in the defense of your loved ones? What to consider if you decide to help family in a detached building on your property. Wondering what you guys thought?
What conditions would exist for you to decide to go outside to help others? maybe some here will say never do it? Maybe some will offer strategies if I decide to go...

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Your Judgement...

This seems obvious to me. Of course you engage an assailant on your property...
OP, here...

Just so everyone knows, if you ever stay in my Guest House... and BGs come a calling... I will come and help you.

My Sheriff expects me to call 911, but then he knows i will be moving...he expects me to protect my guests. We have talked about it...

I know all three of the Deputies that patrol my area. Young guys, one is a prior service Combat Vet - Army. We talk when I am in town, they have been to my house and I would say we have a good relationship. My Sheriff is pro-gun.

No holding back if you attack my family / guests. No fair fight.

I am kinda surprised that some responses indicate that I should only help my guests if they - lack ability to defend themselves, or if there is some sort of disparity of force...Nope, regardless of whether it is my elderly Mom or Decorated War Hero...I will be coming, as soon as, I am aware of BGs on my property. I am not saying what I will do - that depends on the situation. But I will be there.

I am sad that people are afraid of their own judgment. I guess some of you live in areas that are not friendly towards the 2A / or landowners defending themselves or friends/family. I understand some of your concerns, in that, you cant just go to the guest house with guns ablazing... I won't do that. I will make a judgment call on the situation when I am in a position to evaluate - but I think in most cases - i will move... to be in that position.

I was really hoping that we would not go too far in the direction of the Legalize. but rather some of the strategies (my OP question). A couple folks have mentioned some ideas...

I will add, for the sake of discussion...

I do have a predetermined route from my main house to an overwatch position that utilizes some cover - but, mostly concealment. I can move pretty fast along the route and have determined spots were observation of my driveway and the guest house is possible - along the way I came pause if I need to for an assessment. Basically this is a maneuver that I believe will give me surprise and a advantage of terrain. Along the way, hopefully I will be able to determine what is necessary and appropriate in the situation - as I see it. My best judgement.

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
We put this door on the entrance to our bedroom suite. Just throwing it out there.
Yea, that is too cool. If I remember right, your front door is even more impressive. I have reenforced my exterior doors but someone prepare / experienced could get in pretty quickly - I am sure. Your looks pretty indestructible.

I have a pressure sensitive cable under my driveway and two motion detecting cellular trail cams that alert me - send me pictures in about seven seconds that gives me about one minute warning before they get to the paved part on my driveway (at normal speed). At night I get pictures of critters all night long... I silence my phone to those, but if the pressure sensor goes off I can usually immediately see what set it off.

But regardless, if I had to go forward to help my guests... the bedroom door is not gonna do me any good, but I know my wife would love that door - especially when I travel. She doesn’t like being alone at night.

To be honest... I would almost always investigate anything that alerted me outdoors. I kill about three coyotes every year and maybe eight armadillos, so kinda exciting to me to investigate stuff. I will not stay in the bedroom. My neighbors don’t either. Maybe it is a Southern thing?

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I don’t know about that...

its not a "Southern" thing, its a stupid thing....
CountryBoy, sometimes you just crack me up... I am laughing so hard my gut is hurtin. I can barely type. I don’t know if you are serious or not?

I think you are reading too much into my post... or maybe just taking yourself too seriously?

Please read it again... I don’t think I suggested anything to warrant your comments. If I am alerted to something outside - I will investigate. That is not stupid. What you suggested I might do is.

Just curious - what is your solid defensive position in your bedroom? Do you have sandbags?

I am still laughing. I really want meet you...we need to have beers one day.

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Let's get back on track

Countryboy, you misquoted me above... You tied two separate statements together to make an entirely different meaning to my post.
if I had to go forward
To be honest... I would almost always investigate anything that alerted me outdoors.
when I actually said:
if I had to go forward to help my guests...

I assume you did that unintentionally. But I thought it would be fun to give an example... using one of your above posts:

I am a misnomer,
particularly from the perspective of
the art of war
my adult life
is a losing proposition, its not just academic theory-
Its a realistic probability...
I hope you see my point.

I never said anything about hunting humans (your words) for the sake of anything other than protecting my guests or family in a remote building on my property. I don't disagree with you on staying in the house for most any trespassers, but I have a morale obligation to help my loved ones in a situation as i posed in the OP.

I am just trying to get comments on Tactics and Personal Defense from members on the idea of moving to help others - At this point it seems that you are in the camp to stay inside.

i decided to violate your property or home (not you specifically, Harry, but in general) and have the means and will, if YOU move tp hunt me, theres a 90% or better chance that when the dust settles, you'll be dead.... 10s of thousands of enteries, both real and training, in hundereds of basic premutations bears this out.
and now that I know that you might be on my property and i have such a dismal fate...i am starting to rethink Saving my Mom... "Kobyiashi Maru"

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
First, my error in quoting you; my intent was not to alter the context...
OK good.

As far as investigating - of course I do... but that is before I pick a CoA. Critters vs. BGs is a consideration.

I like your ideas about the Panic Button...I actually use SimpliSafe and upgraded to two siren alarms one in each building. Panic buttons are in both buildings and all my vehicles. LED motion detecting lights on all buildings as well as some battery powered motion detecting lights. I screw them in trees in the woods - positioned so the light shines away from me and my pre-planned routes and likely positions. I put them high - use a ladder to get to them. They aren't real bright but they illuminate. Kinda like a parachute flare. (they last about three or four months).

I have other ideas too but, i am hoping to see what others have for input.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant...stem}+power+{productName_nostem}++lca{554225}

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
They will cost you more up front. But you will never have to change bulbs or replace them. And it does not cost you any money to feed them.
Yep I have LED lights on the house. I can control them remotely from my phone...kinda cool. But the battery powered lights I was discussing are kinda in the woods and on my driveway. We have zero street lights on the County Roads until you get several miles from my house. My driveway is pretty long...so no light / no power... Without batteries (or a huge expense that I can’t afford), no light. The lights that I described are strategically placed to offer me “backlight” to illuminate. My hopes that they do not go off if an encounter happens... better if the action is under the LED lights on the guest house. If the remote lights are not on would mean no one in the woods. If I come up and there are no lights on in the woods...it means no one is in the woods...peace of mind at a Decision Point.

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Drive you batty

Only down side for me is the bug issue. I have a lot of lights, and bugs can be a big problem down in my country.
Same i can not even leave lights on at my home...motion only and only for certain areas. I built four Bat Houses for my property...and yet the bats like the vented eaves of my attic best. In the summer, if lights are left on - bugs everywhere...I have about six or eight bats that love my house and my open grassy area...but they dont seem to make a dent in our population of flying insects.

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
First of all, you don't lie -- you simply state the situation in terms most favorable to yourself.

Secondly, there in no surveillance footage inside your head. Your thoughts remain private. And it is your thoughts -- your intentions -- that are critical here.

Third, there is no surveillance footage anywhere around where I live.
Very interesting thoughts. Relevant to the subject.

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Moving to help others...

Relevant to the subject.
A lot of the Posts so far have been about General Home Security...that is not really the topic of this thread. The topic is much more unique.

I am gonna give a very general scenario to hopefully get us back to the specific discussion.

It is night time. You have a guest staying the weekend in your unattached guest house. You are in your house when you become aware of something unusual at the guest house. From inside your house you see car headlights parked outside your guest house. This is not right. You call your guest, she answers, but is clearly in duress. You have known her all your life and she is very frightened. Over the phone you hear threats to her life from an unknown male. The line goes dead. You call 911 and report. The Sheriff is on the way - they say ten minutes out... but you know it will likely be longer.

You make the decision to move to help your guest. You end up in a position that gives you the best tactical advantage. The situation is horrible. There is a definite threat to your guest. You can see several BGs they are armed, they don't see you. You see your guest being beaten.

Do you engage without warning?

what other considerations are important?

· Registered
5,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I will have medium to large dogs in my house until I no longer walk this earth. And ideally they’ll prevent me from ever having to employ deadly force.
Several folks have talked about Dogs in this thread...and I agree that Dogs are great; especially for the purposes of Early Warning and Home Security. I would not let my dogs outa my main house if I planned to move from it - in the senario that we have been discussing - in my case a stealthy approach and concealed overwatch.

Would you prefer to have your dog with you as you move?

Me the answer is no (in my case it would actually be ridiculous). My dogs aren’t trained to help...they would only give away my position and add an extra layer of stress for me - no advantage. Does anyone have a dog that would prevent escalation or the use of deadly force? Or be useful?

1 - 16 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.