1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Happy Almost New Year-

I'm a sucker for figured walnut and blue steel firearms. Parkerized steel and figured walnut gets me going, too...but that's a different thread.

I thought I'd share my first attempt at making grips for my new commander. Please don't look too close. These would never make it out the door of a professional shop.:eek:. They are slimline.

First the "bad":
*I need to fit the left panel to the mag well a little more. It shouldn't take but a few minutes.
*I definitely wouldn't try this again without a drill press and brad point bits. These were made with a hand drill and regular bits. If I had had the correct tools, this phase of the process would have been satisfying to my "precise side" instead of stressful.

Now the "good":
*It was fun searching for wood that I liked.
*The grips fit my hand perfectly and the pistol points better than it ever has.
*It's a very satisfying project.
*They smell very good. I finished them with a 1/1/1 mixture of boiled linseed oil, turpentine, and bees wax. A few more applications are in order. I'll wait until I tweak the left panel.

The "lessons":
*It's worth paying a professional maker if they have what you want.
*Find a drill press and the correct bits if you want to do it right.
*It would be fun to make grips out of a piece of would that had sentimental value.

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Those look nice, hound46! Making your own grips can guarantee they fit your hands the best, and it's a fun project! I've tried a few times to make custom grips for my Beretta, and each time I get better results.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I love the wood grain and slim design. Especially the right side. My old man made a set of Ivory grips in the old days. Still sits on his old Commander. Great project.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
my first few sets didn't look that good, great job!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts